1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing the time scale in the action

1. Dec 15, 2006 #1
    I'm stuck, again, on a particular passage of a book (jean zinn justinf's QFT and critical phenomena).

it says:

We will find it convinient to t -> t/hbar , the action is then written as:

[tex]S_{0} / \hbar=\int_{t'}^{t''} dt [\frac{m \dot {x}^2(t) }{2 \hbar^2} + V(t)][/tex]

where t' and t'' are constants.

the original action is:

[tex]S_{0}=\int_{t'}^{t''} dt [\frac{m \dot {x}^2(t) }{2} + V(t)][/tex]

My problem is that basically what he seems to have done is divide the normal action by hbar but somehow pulled out an extra 1/hbar in the first term of the integrand and one less 1/hbar in the second term.. I'm sorry but I have no idea how the original action goes to the new form when t -> t/hbar

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help/advice/suggestions will be very much apreciated :smile:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Making the transformation t -> t/hbar=t' (easier to use a different letter for the new t value when calculating, to avoid confusion) we find that [itex] dt=\hbar dt' [/itex] and, using the chain rule, [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt'}\frac{dt'}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt'}\frac{1}{\hbar} [/tex] This gives [tex] \dot{x}^2=\left(\frac{dx}{dt'}\right)^2 \frac{1}{\hbar ^2} [/tex]

The integral is then
    S_0 = \int \hbar dt' \left[\frac{m}{2\hbar^2}\left(\frac{dx}{dt'}\right)^2 +V(t')\right] [/tex]

Dividing through by hbar and replacing t'=t gives the required result
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?