Chaos, horror, mayhem in my neighborhood

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Coming back from the gym this morning, I was behind a Lexus sedan. When it was about 100 meters from the traffic circle, it slowed waaaaay down. Came up to the circle and stopped.

Ten full seconds went by. Then, he turned on his left blinker.

I was cracking up and yelling (he couldn't hear me), "No! Don't do it! You can't turn left...go AROUND the circle!" I was dying with laughter!

The driver sat and watched traffic...finally realized he couldn't go left, so he slooooowly entered the circle. I followed him in and took the next exit, but watched him in my rearview mirror. He circled around and exited...on the same road he came in on :rofl: !

I imagine as he drove away from the circle he asked himself, "Whoa...what just happened?!?"

This traffic circle in Angola, Indiana has been in constant use since before there were automobiles. There is a Civil war monument in the center and the folks back there refused to move it to make way for a modern intersection.

In my youth I zipped around this circle a thousand times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Angola-indiana-panorama.jpg

Ah Ha traffic circles are considered to be a traffic calming device (along with speed bumps).

Install your own traffic calming device and confuse your neighbors. Just think of the fun you can have . Invite your friends to watch the mayhem, installation instructions included.

http://www.trafficlogix.com/traffic-circles.asp

I kid you not, in my city there is (at least) one traffic circle (roundabout for you brits) with traffic lights. I'm not sure who came up with this idea, but it must be one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen. All the drawbacks of a traffic circle (stupid people unsure when they should go) combined with delays waiting for lights to change.
AHHH That 118 Avenue monstrosity! God I hate that thing. I am from a farm, we don't even have stop signs where I am from and when I first moved up I found myself in that damn thing! I am fine with it now but that first time I was terrified. I was just going to bring that circle up but you beat me to it.

Nope, I'm up North in Edmonton.
How did I know you were going to say that? The 118 Ave. traffic circle with stoplights is absurd.

And speaking of, yes, I think traffic circles are far more effective at maintaining traffic flow at high-volume intersections. I also agree that teaching people to use them properly is a high priority for making it all work.

Last edited:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How did I know you were going to say that? The 118 St traffic circle with stoplights is absurd.
Georgina, are you Canadian?

AHHH That 118 Avenue monstrosity! God I hate that thing. I am from a farm, we don't even have stop signs where I am from and when I first moved up I found myself in that damn thing! I am fine with it now but that first time I was terrified. I was just going to bring that circle up but you beat me to it.
How did I know you were going to say that? The 118 Ave. traffic circle with stoplights is absurd.
I think we need to raise this issue during the next municipal election (when is that, btw?)

For anyone who has not had the pleasure of witnessing this stupidity first hand, tune your google earth to 53°34'13.00"N 113°32'57.88"W You can barely make out the traffic lights.

And since we are already looking at the idiocy in my city in google earth, the proper way to create an intersection of more than 2 streets is with a traffic circle, like at 53°31'29.88"N 113°27'27.08"W never with traffic lights like at 53°32'43.08"N 113°28'43.62"W

Georgina, are you Canadian?
I am so. :smile:

I think we need to raise this issue during the next municipal election (when is that, btw?)
I thought we'd elected Mandel Mayor For Life. But, can we get through the federal one first, please? :wink:

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I kid you not, in my city there is (at least) one traffic circle (roundabout for you brits) with traffic lights. I'm not sure who came up with this idea, but it must be one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen. All the drawbacks of a traffic circle (stupid people unsure when they should go) combined with delays waiting for lights to change.
Roundabouts with traffic lights on are quite common around here, especially on the big ones that have motorway slip lanes as one of the exits. Sometimes they are only active during the busiest times of the day, but I think it makes sense to have roundabouts with traffic lights as opposed to a normal crossroads with traffic lights in these big cases because, more often than not, there are way more than four exits, and also you don't have to turn right across lanes of traffic.

Borek
Mentor
Plenty of those (roundabouts with lights) in Warsaw as well. Some are monstrous (especially the one at 52°15'17.14"N 20°58'57.15"E is my favorite, with tramways, lots of pedestrians and a huge shopping mall NE of the roundabout), but many (like this one: 52°13'47.48"N 21°00'42.04"E) make wonders to traffic. Sure, they get clogged during peak hours, but you can't do anything about it. Unless you close city center for cars :smile:

Plenty of those (roundabouts with lights) in Warsaw as well. Some are monstrous (especially the one at 52°15'17.14"N 20°58'57.15"E is my favorite, with tramways, lots of pedestrians and a huge shopping mall NE of the roundabout), but many (like this one: 52°13'47.48"N 21°00'42.04"E) make wonders to traffic. Sure, they get clogged during peak hours, but you can't do anything about it. Unless you close city center for cars :smile:
In my country, people tend to go by bus, but some taxi companies predict the future of transporter is taxi, they are adding several more. But its ok, taxi is not the only business they are doing; there are agriculture related stuff, farming, raising cattles...etc. They have a big farm for pigs near my grandmom's house.
They also have a banking system, which is what I am most scared, believe me! Their other sons and sons inlaw are into computer chips, tools, programming and book businesses. I am not mentioning the online hooking systems they were/are building around the web just yet!

jtbell
Mentor
Imagine seeing this roadsign for the first time as you approach the "magic roundabout"
Fructose. Sweet.

Borek
Mentor
My heart goes out to anybody who has to deal with this roundabout. :bugeye:
I have no problems with roundabouts, but this one bites me. It is not only convoluted, but it also goes CW instead of CCW, which makes it completely indigestible.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I have no problems with roundabouts, but this one bites me. It is not only convoluted, but it also goes CW instead of CCW, which makes it completely indigestible.
Roundabouts in the UK are meant to go clockwise, but I get what you mean. The mini roundabouts on the outside are correct, but the internal roundabout goes the wrong way!

Borek
Mentor
Roundabouts in the UK are meant to go clockwise
And that's what is wrong with this funny island of yours :tongue2:

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Coming back from the gym this morning, I was behind a Lexus sedan. When it was about 100 meters from the traffic circle, it slowed waaaaay down. Came up to the circle and stopped.

Ten full seconds went by. Then, he turned on his left blinker.

I was cracking up and yelling (he couldn't hear me), "No! Don't do it! You can't turn left...go AROUND the circle!" I was dying with laughter!

The driver sat and watched traffic...finally realized he couldn't go left, so he slooooowly entered the circle. I followed him in and took the next exit, but watched him in my rearview mirror. He circled around and exited...on the same road he came in on :rofl: !

I imagine as he drove away from the circle he asked himself, "Whoa...what just happened?!?"
This traffic circle in Angola, Indiana has been in constant use since before there were automobiles. There is a Civil war monument in the center and the folks back there refused to move it to make way for a modern intersection.

In my youth I zipped around this circle a thousand times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Angola-indiana-panorama.jpg
You'd a think a driver would be able to figure out the pattern and decide which exit out of the roundabout he wanted after about 5 or 6 times around the circle. I guess some people are just slow learners. :rofl:

My heart goes out to anybody who has to deal with this roundabout. :bugeye:
Why are so many of the lines wavy? And what are those things next to the mini-circles; beer mugs? Is that roundabout some kind of college drinking game?

Why are so many of the lines wavy? And what are those things next to the mini-circles; beer mugs? Is that roundabout some kind of college drinking game?
You have to roll a six to exit.

Roundabouts with traffic lights on are quite common around here, especially on the big ones that have motorway slip lanes as one of the exits. Sometimes they are only active during the busiest times of the day, but I think it makes sense to have roundabouts with traffic lights as opposed to a normal crossroads with traffic lights in these big cases because, more often than not, there are way more than four exits, and also you don't have to turn right across lanes of traffic.
And that makes the world of sense, cristo, when you have a huge roundabout and lots of exits. The one we're talking about is a plain old four-way intersection. Nothing fancy, nothing confusing, no multi-exit stuff. It's seriously goofy. The other roundabouts work perfectly well without lights.

The other roundabouts work perfectly well without lights.
Or they would if people knew how to use them, this morning I got caught behind six cars on the 107th ave one who all decided to stop. Two of them tried to treat it as a 4-way stop, and seemed to think they had the right of way over the traffic coming around the circle.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Or they would if people knew how to use them, this morning I got caught behind six cars on the 107th ave one who all decided to stop. Two of them tried to treat it as a 4-way stop, and seemed to think they had the right of way over the traffic coming around the circle.
Do you not get taught who has the right of way at a roundabout in your driving lessons/test? If you're in a state that actually has roundabouts, then surely you should be taught how to drive on them?!

Do you not get taught who has the right of way at a roundabout in your driving lessons/test? If you're in a state that actually has roundabouts, then surely you should be taught how to drive on them?!
I was taught during my driving lessons, but not on my test. Depending where you take your lessons/test, you may or may not be anywhere near a traffic circle.

PS. Canada has provinces, not states.