Chaos, horror, mayhem in my neighborhood

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chaos
In summary, a traffic circle has been built in a neighborhood near the author. Drivers are driving dangerously because they do not know how to use the traffic circle properly. The biggest problem with traffic circles in North America is that there are not enough of them.
Plenty of those (roundabouts with lights) in Warsaw as well. Some are monstrous (especially the one at 52°15'17.14"N 20°58'57.15"E is my favorite, with tramways, lots of pedestrians and a huge shopping mall NE of the roundabout), but many (like this one: 52°13'47.48"N 21°00'42.04"E) make wonders to traffic. Sure, they get clogged during peak hours, but you can't do anything about it. Unless you close city center for cars :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Plenty of those (roundabouts with lights) in Warsaw as well. Some are monstrous (especially the one at 52°15'17.14"N 20°58'57.15"E is my favorite, with tramways, lots of pedestrians and a huge shopping mall NE of the roundabout), but many (like this one: 52°13'47.48"N 21°00'42.04"E) make wonders to traffic. Sure, they get clogged during peak hours, but you can't do anything about it. Unless you close city center for cars :smile:
In my country, people tend to go by bus, but some taxi companies predict the future of transporter is taxi, they are adding several more. But its ok, taxi is not the only business they are doing; there are agriculture related stuff, farming, raising cattles...etc. They have a big farm for pigs near my grandmom's house.
They also have a banking system, which is what I am most scared, believe me! Their other sons and sons inlaw are into computer chips, tools, programming and book businesses. I am not mentioning the online hooking systems they were/are building around the web just yet!

My heart goes out to anybody who has to deal with this roundabout. :bugeye:

cristo said:
Imagine seeing this roadsign for the first time as you approach the "magic roundabout"
Fructose. Sweet.

jtbell said:

I have no problems with roundabouts, but this one bites me. It is not only convoluted, but it also goes CW instead of CCW, which makes it completely indigestible.

Borek said:
I have no problems with roundabouts, but this one bites me. It is not only convoluted, but it also goes CW instead of CCW, which makes it completely indigestible.

Roundabouts in the UK are meant to go clockwise, but I get what you mean. The mini roundabouts on the outside are correct, but the internal roundabout goes the wrong way!

cristo said:
Roundabouts in the UK are meant to go clockwise

And that's what is wrong with this funny island of yours :tongue2:

lisab said:
Coming back from the gym this morning, I was behind a Lexus sedan. When it was about 100 meters from the traffic circle, it slowed waaaaay down. Came up to the circle and stopped.

Ten full seconds went by. Then, he turned on his left blinker.

I was cracking up and yelling (he couldn't hear me), "No! Don't do it! You can't turn left...go AROUND the circle!" I was dying with laughter!

The driver sat and watched traffic...finally realized he couldn't go left, so he slooooowly entered the circle. I followed him in and took the next exit, but watched him in my rearview mirror. He circled around and exited...on the same road he came in on :rofl: !

I imagine as he drove away from the circle he asked himself, "Whoa...what just happened?!?"

edward said:
This traffic circle in Angola, Indiana has been in constant use since before there were automobiles. There is a Civil war monument in the center and the folks back there refused to move it to make way for a modern intersection.

In my youth I zipped around this circle a thousand times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Angola-indiana-panorama.jpg
You'd a think a driver would be able to figure out the pattern and decide which exit out of the roundabout he wanted after about 5 or 6 times around the circle. I guess some people are just slow learners. :rofl:

jtbell said:

Why are so many of the lines wavy? And what are those things next to the mini-circles; beer mugs? Is that roundabout some kind of college drinking game?

BobG said:
Why are so many of the lines wavy? And what are those things next to the mini-circles; beer mugs? Is that roundabout some kind of college drinking game?

You have to roll a six to exit.

cristo said:
Roundabouts with traffic lights on are quite common around here, especially on the big ones that have motorway slip lanes as one of the exits. Sometimes they are only active during the busiest times of the day, but I think it makes sense to have roundabouts with traffic lights as opposed to a normal crossroads with traffic lights in these big cases because, more often than not, there are way more than four exits, and also you don't have to turn right across lanes of traffic.

And that makes the world of sense, cristo, when you have a huge roundabout and lots of exits. The one we're talking about is a plain old four-way intersection. Nothing fancy, nothing confusing, no multi-exit stuff. It's seriously goofy. The other roundabouts work perfectly well without lights.

GeorginaS said:
The other roundabouts work perfectly well without lights.

Or they would if people knew how to use them, this morning I got caught behind six cars on the 107th ave one who all decided to stop. Two of them tried to treat it as a 4-way stop, and seemed to think they had the right of way over the traffic coming around the circle.

NeoDevin said:
Or they would if people knew how to use them, this morning I got caught behind six cars on the 107th ave one who all decided to stop. Two of them tried to treat it as a 4-way stop, and seemed to think they had the right of way over the traffic coming around the circle.

Do you not get taught who has the right of way at a roundabout in your driving lessons/test? If you're in a state that actually has roundabouts, then surely you should be taught how to drive on them?!

cristo said:
Do you not get taught who has the right of way at a roundabout in your driving lessons/test? If you're in a state that actually has roundabouts, then surely you should be taught how to drive on them?!

I was taught during my driving lessons, but not on my test. Depending where you take your lessons/test, you may or may not be anywhere near a traffic circle.

PS. Canada has provinces, not states.

Originally Posted by edward
This traffic circle in Angola, Indiana has been in constant use since before there were automobiles. There is a Civil war monument in the center and the folks back there refused to move it to make way for a modern intersection.

In my youth I zipped around this circle a thousand times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...a-panorama.jpg

BobG said:
You'd a think a driver would be able to figure out the pattern and decide which exit out of the roundabout he wanted after about 5 or 6 times around the circle. I guess some people are just slow learners.

Actually I meant entering from the south and zipping around and exiting headed west was no problem.

Late at night we used to pull all kinds of shenanigans driving endlessly around the circle in groups of 6 or 7 cars, then when someone spotted the local police coming, a honk of their horn sent us rapidly dispersing in four different directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the traffic lights are to control the volume of vehicles approaching the circle.

The are a lot of freeway access ramps that have a red lights at the top. A sign usually states "wait five seconds then proceed". Hmm seems to me I have only seen them in LA.

jtbell said:

Is that a roundabout or weather map? Looks like a low pressure system and hurricane are about to hit. :uhh: What are the little circles around the big circle? Are you supposed to doh-see-doh? (I have no idea how to spell that...the square dancing call where you grab a partner and spin in a circle.)

cristo said:

Even if you don't have them in your own state, since there are places that still have them, it certainly should be taught. But, people are allowed to drive without understanding even simpler and more common rules of the road, so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised. There'd be more demand for public transportation in this country if people were denied drivers' licenses until they had actually mastered driving correctly.

cristo said:

Surprisingly, there's no mention of roundabouts in Colorado's driving pamphlets.

Colorado drivers do have to know who has the right of way when two cars meet on a one-lane mountain road overlooking a cliff. (The vehicle going uphill has the right of way. The vehicle going downhill has to back up until a spot wide enough for two vehicles is found.)

BobG said:
Surprisingly, there's no mention of roundabouts in Colorado's driving pamphlets.

Colorado drivers do have to know who has the right of way when two cars meet on a one-lane mountain road overlooking a cliff. (The vehicle going uphill has the right of way. The vehicle going downhill has to back up until a spot wide enough for two vehicles is found.)

I would have missed that one on the test. Of course, this is assuming the vehicle going downhill hasn't lost its brakes.

Moonbear said:
Are you supposed to doh-see-doh? (I have no idea how to spell that...the square dancing call where you grab a partner and spin in a circle.)
A traffic circle is not a good place for square dancing. Probably you're thinking of dosado, but with that tactic you don't grab your partner, nor any part thereof. Rather you circle around your partner while facing in the same direction all the time and passing shoulders. The call that you describe sounds like a right elbow swing. That is best described as a kind of left elbow swing, but using the right elbow. This is not to be confused with the right elbow however, a call in pro wresting. I advise you to stay away from my wife who is an excellent dancer with 15 knockouts and 3 decisions and no losses.

Massachusetts loves its rotaries. We have a few in Connecticut too. They work perfectly iff...

(that's "if and only if")

every one knows what they are doing. And that's never.

Moonbear said:
Is that a roundabout or weather map? Looks like a low pressure system and hurricane are about to hit. :uhh:

Yeah, that's it! There's Fay, and Gustav, and Hanna, and Ike, and Josephine... :rofl:

Last edited:
jtbell said:

Swindon's magic roundabout ranks as the third worst junction in the world (I still don't get what the wavy lines mean, plus, shouldn't the hurricanes rotate counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere?). In fact, 4 roundabouts wind up ranked among the 10 worst junctions in the world.

At least if you get stuck in the Place Charles de Gaulle, your passengers can get lots of pictures of the Arc de Triomphe. 9 de Julio Avenida and London Circuit in Canberra look like a decent places to get stuck, as well. On the other hand, I definitely want to avoid the lane that spirals into oblivion at the A9 in Shanghai.

tribdog said:
I would have missed that one on the test. Of course, this is assuming the vehicle going downhill hasn't lost its brakes.

Yeah, I'd have made the same assumption that the one going downhill could be the one without brakes. :uhh: I think one-lane mountain roads with cliffs and two-way traffic are just something I'd be perfectly happy to avoid entirely. I think I'll take the helicopter tour. :uhh:

tribdog said:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, I'd have made the same assumption that the one going downhill could be the one without brakes. :uhh: I think one-lane mountain roads with cliffs and two-way traffic are just something I'd be perfectly happy to avoid entirely. I think I'll take the helicopter tour. :uhh:

They'll probably die if they try driving down a mountain with no brakes. Backing up a mountain with no brakes is much safer.

BobG said:
(I still don't get what the wavy lines mean, plus, shouldn't the hurricanes rotate counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere?).

Do you mean the "wavy lines" on the sides and centre of the exit roads? If so, they are road markings that signify a pedestrian crossing and thus no parking there (in fact, if you park there then it's more serious than parking on double yellow lines). The "beer mugs" I guess you're talking about say "keep clear."

At least if you get stuck in the Place Charles de Gaulle, your passengers can get lots of pictures of the Arc de Triomphe.

Now that is a scary junction. It doesn't appear to have any rules!

BobG said:
shouldn't the hurricanes rotate counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere?

In general, yes, but in the UK, they rotate in the opposite direction, to match driving on the opposite side of the road. :rolleyes:

cristo said:
At least if you get stuck in the Place Charles de Gaulle, your passengers can get lots of pictures of the Arc de Triomphe.

Now that is a scary junction. It doesn't appear to have any rules!

Perhaps it is just God playing dice.

BobG said:

That is the single most terrifying intersection I've ever seen in my whole life.

GeorginaS said:
That is the single most terrifying intersection I've ever seen in my whole life.

Now, THAT is a place for a traffic light. That, or just put a sign up in the circle that says, "No Left Turns." :biggrin: :devil:

Moonbear said:
Now, THAT is a place for a traffic light. That, or just put a sign up in the circle that says, "No Left Turns." :biggrin: :devil:

No right turns would even be more hilarious.

Been there, agree with Georgina, there is no way you can reach the Arc the Triumpf alive. :yuck:

Andre said:
Been there, agree with Georgina, there is no way you can reach the Arc the Triumpf alive. :yuck:

I think there is an underground passage there, so the situation doesn't look that dramatic :tongue2:

Borek said:
I think there is an underground passage there, so the situation doesn't look that dramatic :tongue2:

darn Borek, don't spoil it. :grumpy: :wink:

and also don't betray that the same solution works for getting into the Louvre

Yes, there's an underground passage to the Arc. The funny part is watching tourists who either don't know about it or don't read French, who try to make an above-ground dash across. It's truly amusing. :biggrin: