Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Characteristic polynomial coefficients

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    For any characteristic polynomial determined from A - eI (where A is a nxn matrix, e is an eigenvalue and I is the identity matrix),

is it a rule that the coefficient associated with the char. polynomail term of highest degree must be positive ?

My tutor made a theory that if the characteristic polynomial's coefficient of highest power is negative, then divide it through by -1 to make it positive.

Im not sure why it has to be positive, so I'd really like some clarification

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

there is no rule on this. there is an annihilator ideal and the characteristic polynomial is any generator, so the first coefficient could almost be anything. i usually like it to be positive. but if you define it to be a certain determinant t could be either. this is not at all important for applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook