Coefficients of characteristic polynomial (linear algebra)

In summary, A is an nxn square, real matrix with characteristic polynomial f(x) = xn - c1xn-1 + ... + (-1)rcrxn-r + ... + (-1)ncn. The coefficient cn-1 is equal to the sum of the determinants of the (i,i) minors of A. Similarly, the coefficient cr can be found by expressing det(A -x I) in the "sum over permutations" form and considering the restricted sum over permutations to be the determinant of a minor of the matrix.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

A is an nxn square, real matrix. Let f(x) be the characteristic polynomial, write f(x) = xn - c1xn-1 + ... + (-1)rcrxn-r + ... + (-1)ncn

Show that cn-1 = [tex]\sum[/tex] det (Aii) where Aii is the (i,i) minor of A.

Similarly, what is the coefficient cr?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that c1 = trace(A) and cn = det(A).
cn-1 is the coefficient of x, so is the sum of all products involving one entry from the diagonal, would this product then be the determinant of the matrix formed by deleting the row and column that this entry is in, so Aii?

If this is true, how would I express it more rigorously?

Also I'm not sure how to generalise for cr.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write det(A -x I) in the "sum over permutations" form. Then consider the form of the permuations that will get you a factor x from some specific position on the diagonal. You then consider that restricted sum over permutations and see if it corresponds to an unrestricted sum over permutations of a smaller set of rows and is thus, by definition, the determinant of a minor of the matrix.

Related to Coefficients of characteristic polynomial (linear algebra)

What are coefficients of a characteristic polynomial?

Coefficients of a characteristic polynomial are the constants in front of each term in the polynomial. They are used to determine the eigenvalues of a matrix in linear algebra.

How are coefficients of a characteristic polynomial calculated?

Coefficients of a characteristic polynomial can be calculated using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which states that a matrix satisfies its own characteristic polynomial.

What is the significance of coefficients of a characteristic polynomial?

The coefficients of a characteristic polynomial provide important information about the matrix's eigenvalues. They can also be used to determine the matrix's trace and determinant.

Can coefficients of a characteristic polynomial be complex numbers?

Yes, coefficients of a characteristic polynomial can be complex numbers. This is because the characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation and complex numbers are a part of the solution set.

How do coefficients of a characteristic polynomial relate to the matrix's diagonalizability?

The coefficients of a characteristic polynomial can be used to determine the matrix's diagonalizability. A matrix is diagonalizable if and only if its characteristic polynomial can be factored into distinct linear factors with real coefficients.