Characteristic Property of Substances (mass, volume, and density)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
kevinli
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A characteristic property is a property that can be used to help identify a substance since it is the same for all samples of the substance. We have now studied mass, volume and density. Which of these is a characteristic property of substances? Explain.


Homework Equations


N/a


The Attempt at a Solution


I think it is density, but I am not sure why. Thank you for helping me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in saying density is a characteristic property of material.

Density ([tex]\rho[/tex]) = mass (m)/volume (V)

so the density is a ratio of a material's mass to it's volume.

Example: Water
If you have 1L of water it would weight 1000g (1kg)

If you had 1m3 of water it would weigh 1,000,000 g (1000 kg)

Even though the weight and the volume of these 2 amounts of water are different, the density of them both is still 1 g/cm3 or 1000 kg/m3 (Those the same value with different units)

So the density doesn't change for any given material and therefore that makes it a characteristic property of the material.

I hope this helps you!

Cheers
 
thank you kind of... It didnt really help... But thanks I love youu

-I <3 science...<333333:!)