Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Characteristics of different types of hypoxia

1. May 11, 2018 #1
    Hello,
    My book illustrates characteristics of different types of hypoxia in this table 0UfX7.jpg

Arrows directed upwards indicate an increase and vice versa.

I know what each type of hypoxia is, but I find a difficulty understand the change in venous PO2, O2 content and saturation of hemoglobin in anemic, stagnant and histotoxic hypoxia.

Could some one give me simple explanation of the above diagram?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2018 #2
    With 4 x 7 = 28 cells in that table, and with perhaps 2 or 3 possible values for each cell, and different possible etiologies and interdependencies and independencies for the value distributions, the table presumably should be viewed as a guidance device for aiding understanding of presentation sets, and as such, should be expanded upon in the explanatory text, and not inappropriately oversimplified. Complex matters, alas, are often not susceptible to simple explanation. Even so, I think that in general, quests for simpler explanations are often worthy and fruitful, and perhaps someone else on this forum will present a more insightful response.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted