1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge density for a given potential

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the electric potential ##V(r)=A\frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}## calculate the charge density ##\rho(r)## and the electric field ##E(r)##.
    They specify the answer for charge density should be: ##\rho = \epsilon_0 A(4\pi \delta^3(r)-\lambda^2e^{-\lambda r}/r)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##E=-\nabla V##
    ##\nabla E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the electric field I got: ##E = Ae^{-\lambda r}(1+\lambda r)/r^2##, pointing in the r direction and this is the same as their answer. Then I tried to take the divergence of E, and in spherical coordinates this would be ##\nabla E = \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial r^2 E}{\partial r} = \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial (Ae^{-\lambda r}(1+\lambda r))}{\partial r} ## . However this doesn't give me a delta function so I am not sure where I did something wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your expression for the divergence is only valid for ##r\ne 0##. You need to consider what's happening at ##r=0## in another way.

4. Feb 19, 2017 #3
    Thank you! So I found a solution online to this problem but I am still a bit confused. I attached their solution. So i understand how they obtain the delta function but when they apply the divergence to the other term, they use ##\frac{\partial}{\partial r}##. Shouldn't they use the divergence in spherical coordinates which is ##\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial (r^2 E')}{\partial r}##, with E' being the term that remained to be acted on?

Attached Files:

5. Feb 19, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are using the identity
    upload_2017-2-19_16-56-10.png
    where ##\psi## is a scalar function.

(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities#Product_of_a_scalar_and_a_vector)

The second term on the right does not involve a divergence. It involves a gradient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted