Charge over an Insulating Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of charge on a large thin insulating plate and the calculation of the charge carried by a tiny bob connected to the plate by an insulating string. The question also asks for the electric field near the surface of the plate. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are not provided, but the conversation includes a request for a diagram and clarification on the attachment of the string.
AJDangles

Homework Statement

Charge is distributed uniformly over the surface of a very large thin
insulating plate to a density of 5.00 x 10–6 C/m2 . An insulating string
connects a tiny charged bob to the vertical plate as shown in the
diagram. If the mass of the object is .001 g and the string makes an
angle of 30o to the plate, how much charge is carried by the bob?

Homework Equations

I have no clue.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea where I should start. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
AJDangles said:

Homework Statement

Charge is distributed uniformly over the surface of a very large thin
insulating plate to a density of 5.00 x 10–6 C/m2 . An insulating string
connects a tiny charged bob to the vertical plate as shown in the
diagram. If the mass of the object is .001 g and the string makes an
angle of 30o to the plate, how much charge is carried by the bob?

Homework Equations

I have no clue.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea where I should start. Can someone point me in the right direction?
First explain where the string is attached to the plate.

Better yet, post an image of the diagram.

Diagram here:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 351
What is the Electric field near the surface of the plate?

SammyS said:
What is the Electric field near the surface of the plate?

Take the force of gravity times a component of the angle, multiply by the charge of a proton?

1. What is charge over an insulating plate?

Charge over an insulating plate refers to the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of an insulating material, such as plastic or rubber. Unlike conductors, which allow charges to flow freely, insulators prevent the movement of charges and instead cause them to accumulate on the surface.

2. How does charge over an insulating plate occur?

Charge over an insulating plate occurs due to the process of electrostatic induction. When a charged object is brought near an insulating plate, the charges on the plate are rearranged due to the electric field of the charged object. This results in an imbalance of charge, with one side of the plate becoming positively charged and the other side becoming negatively charged.

3. What factors affect the amount of charge over an insulating plate?

The amount of charge over an insulating plate is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the charged object and the plate, and the dielectric constant of the insulating material. A stronger electric field and closer distance will result in a greater charge accumulation, while a higher dielectric constant will decrease the charge accumulation.

4. How is charge over an insulating plate measured?

Charge over an insulating plate can be measured using an electrostatic voltmeter or an electrometer. These instruments can detect the electric potential difference between two points on the surface of the insulating material, which is directly proportional to the amount of charge accumulation.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding charge over an insulating plate?

Understanding charge over an insulating plate is important in many industrial and scientific processes. It is used in the creation of electrostatic precipitators, which remove particulates from air pollution. It also plays a role in the functioning of capacitors, which are essential components in electronic circuits. Additionally, understanding charge over an insulating plate is important in the study of atmospheric phenomena, such as lightning and thunderstorms.