Charge Sharing between two metal spheres

In summary, two small metal spheres with radii of 0.48 cm and 0.95 cm, carrying charges of 0.15 uC and 0.090 uC respectively, are located 3.0 m apart. If they are connected by a thin wire, the amount of charge that will move along it can be determined by setting the potential of each sphere equal to each other and using the equation (kQ1)/R1 = (kQ2)/R2. Solving for one charge and plugging it into the equation will give the final charges on each sphere, which will be equal since they will be in equilibrium. The final charge is calculated to be 6.94*10-2
diesel55
Two small metal spheres are located 3.0 m apart. One has radius 0.48 cm and carries charge 0.15 uC. The other has radius 0.95 cm and carries charge 0.090 uC.

If the two spheres were suddenly connected by a thin wire, how much charge would move along it?

This is a question that I have been trying to solve for over a week and still can't get. Please Help. I need a detailed explanation because I know this concept will be used in later chapters.

I know I will add Q1 + Q2 = .24 uC
I was also told that V1 = V2
So (kQ1)/R1 = (kQ2)/R2

I was told to solve for one and plug it into the other, but I don't see the logic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If someone could please help me with this problem. I know the answer is 6.94*10-2 uC but I have no idea how to get that answer. I need to know this process so I can apply it in my current homework.

you want the final charges, it means they should come to equilibrium,it means that there shouldn't be any current between them, it happens when they have the same potential.
So assuming Q1 over first one and Q2 over second one when thay have radiuses R1 and R2
(kQ1)/R1 = (kQ2)/R2
and using Q1+Q2=Qtotal you can find charge on each one.

What is charge sharing between two metal spheres?

Charge sharing between two metal spheres refers to the transfer of electric charge between two conductive objects. This typically occurs when the two spheres are in close proximity or in contact with each other.

Why does charge sharing occur between two metal spheres?

Charge sharing occurs because of the principle of electrostatic induction. When two conductive objects are brought close together, the electric field of one object can induce a redistribution of charge in the other object.

How does charge sharing affect the total charge of the two spheres?

If the two spheres have different initial charges, the total charge after charge sharing will be equal to the sum of the initial charges. If the two spheres have the same initial charge, the total charge after charge sharing will be divided equally between them.

What factors can affect the amount of charge shared between two metal spheres?

The amount of charge shared between two metal spheres can be affected by the distance between the spheres, the initial charges of the spheres, and the size and shape of the spheres.

Can charge sharing occur between non-metal objects?

No, charge sharing typically only occurs between conductive objects. Non-metal objects do not have freely moving electrons, which are necessary for charge sharing to occur.