1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge Sharing between two metal spheres

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Two small metal spheres are located 3.0 m apart. One has radius 0.48 cm and carries charge 0.15 uC. The other has radius 0.95 cm and carries charge 0.090 uC.

If the two spheres were suddenly connected by a thin wire, how much charge would move along it?

This is a question that I have been trying to solve for over a week and still cant get. Please Help. I need a detailed explanation because I know this concept will be used in later chapters.

I know I will add Q1 + Q2 = .24 uC
    I was also told that V1 = V2
    So (kQ1)/R1 = (kQ2)/R2

I was told to solve for one and plug it into the other, but I dont see the logic.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    If someone could please help me with this problem. I know the answer is 6.94*10-2 uC but I have no idea how to get that answer. I need to know this process so I can apply it in my current homework.
  4. Aug 31, 2010 #3
    you want the final charges, it means they should come to equilibrium,it means that there shouldn't be any current between them, it happens when they have the same potential.
    So assuming Q1 over first one and Q2 over second one when thay have radiuses R1 and R2
    (kQ1)/R1 = (kQ2)/R2
    and using Q1+Q2=Qtotal you can find charge on each one.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?