Charged particles deflecting in a statics question.

In summary, the problem involves two charged particles, one suspended from a thread and the other held near it causing it to deflect. By considering the forces acting on the suspended particle, the magnitude of the charge q can be determined. Trigonometry and statics are used in the solution, taking into account the distance between the particles and the angle of deflection. Two possible solutions are provided, one assuming g=9.81 and the other assuming g=the unit.
davidmn
[SOLVED] Charged particles deflecting in a statics question.

Homework Statement

A particle mass 2g and carrying a charge of q is suspended from a light, insulating thread. A second particle carrying an equal and opposite charge is held near to the first particle in the same horizontal plane and causes it to deflect. When the particles are separated by 25cm it is observed that the thread makes an angle of 45° to the vertical. By considering the forces acting on the suspended particle, find the magnitude of q.

Homework Equations

F=Qq/(4∏ε r^2)
Trigonometry
Statics

The Attempt at a Solution

I've assumed that the 25cm is measured between the particles before the deflection.
I've drawn a force diagram and resolved the forces relative to the force from the stationary particle. So 2gsin(45) is acting downwards, tension in in the string acts in opposition to the electrostatic force and 2gcos(45). I am at a loss as to what is acting in opposite to the 2gsin(45). I can take a photo of what I have if anyone isn't clear on what I've done.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your assumption does not correspond to the wording of the question.

Quote: "When the particles are separated by 25cm it is observed that the thread makes an angle of 45° to the vertical".

Ah. True. OK I have two answers now. They make sense, one for if g=9.81 and another for if g=the unit. Thank you very much.

1. What are charged particles?

Charged particles are atoms or molecules that have an unequal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge. These particles can be found in atoms, ions, and subatomic particles such as electrons and protons.

2. How do charged particles behave in a static electric field?

In a static electric field, charged particles will experience a force and be deflected from their original path. The direction of deflection depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field.

3. What factors affect the deflection of charged particles in a static electric field?

The deflection of charged particles in a static electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle. Heavier particles will be less affected by the electric field compared to lighter particles.

4. How is the motion of charged particles described in a statics question?

The motion of charged particles in a statics question is described using the principles of static equilibrium, which means that the net force and torque acting on the particles are equal to zero. This allows us to calculate the deflection and trajectory of the particles.

5. How is the deflection of charged particles in a static electric field calculated?

The deflection of charged particles in a static electric field can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the strength of the electric field. The direction of the deflection can be determined using the right hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the electric field, and the fingers point in the direction of the force.