1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy radiated from a charge in electric field

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is problem 11.13 from Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th Ed.
    A positive charge q is fired head-on at a distant positive charge Q (which is held stationary) with a initial velocity [itex]v_0[/itex]. It comes in, decelerates to v=0 and returns out to infinity. What fraction of its initial energy [itex](\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2)[/itex] is radiated away? Assume [itex]v_0<<c[/itex] and that you can safely ignore the effect of radiative losses on the motion of the particle. Answer: [itex]\frac{16}{45}\frac{q}{Q}\left(\frac{v_o}{c}\right)^3[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Larmor formula
    [tex]P=\frac{\mu_0 q^2a^2}{6\pi c}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    In this problem acceleration depends on x: from Coulomb's law and Newton second Law: [itex]F=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{x^2}=m\ddot{x}[/itex]. We don't know the time spent by particle q in its travel in order to compute total energy radiated.
    From linear momentum [itex]p=m\dot{x}[/itex], we have [itex]\dot{p}=m\ddot{x}[/itex] and [itex]\dot{p}=\frac{dE}{dx}[/itex].
    E is the energy of particle, the sum of kinetic and electrostatic potential energy: [tex]E=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2+\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{x}[/tex].
    But [itex]\frac{dE}{dx}=\frac{dE}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}[/itex] and I can write Larmor formula as:
    [tex]P=\frac{\mu_0 q^2}{6\pi cm^2}\left(\frac{dE}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}\right)\left(\frac{dE}{dx}\right)[/tex]
    The fraction asked is:
    [tex]f=\frac{P}{\frac{dE}{dt}}=\frac{\mu_0 q^3Q}{24\pi^2 \epsilon_0 cm^2x^2\dot{x}}[/tex]
    I have differentiate E with respect to x.
    I don't know how to evaluate "f" and I don't know if my approach is correct.
    Any help? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello 987oscar. Welcome to PF!

##\small P## is the rate of creation of radiation energy: ##\small P## ## = \frac{dE_{rad}}{dt}##. The energy of the particle, ##\small E##, is assumed to remain essentially constant according to the phrase "you can safely ignore the effect of radiative losses on the motion of the particle".

Note ##\small P## ## = \frac{dE_{rad}}{dt} = \frac{dE_{rad}}{dx} \small \dot{x}##. Use this for the left side of the Larmor formula and try to see where to go from there.

[EDIT: Alternately, you can try the substitution ##\small P## ## = \frac{dE_{rad}}{dt} = \frac{dE_{rad}}{dv} \small \dot{v}##, where ##\small v## is the speed of the particle. I believe this substitution will make life easier!]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. Sep 18, 2014 #3
    Hello TSny:
    Yes!! as [itex]\ddot{x}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{mx^2}[/itex], I can write Larmor formula as:[tex]\frac{dE_{rad}}{dx}\dot{x}=\frac{\mu_0q^4Q^2}{96\pi^3\epsilon_0^2cm^2x^4}[/tex].
    But from Energy Conservation: [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2+\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{x}[/tex], so I find [itex]\dot{x}=\sqrt{V_0^2-\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_0 m}\frac{qQ}{x}}[/itex].
    Particle goes from infinity to [itex]x_0=\frac{qQ}{2\pi\epsilon_0mv_0^2}[/itex] and returns out to infinity. I have integrated [itex]E_{rad}[/itex] from [itex]x_0[/itex] to infinity and finally I could get the correct answer.
    Thank you very much!!!! :smile:

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Great! That's the way I did it at first, also. If you want, you can try the other substitution ##\small P ## ##= \frac{dE_{rad}}{dt} = \frac{dE_{rad}}{dv} \dot{v} =\frac{dE_{rad}}{dv} a##. I found the integration easier in this case.

6. Sep 18, 2014 #5
    Ok. Iwill try that way too...
    Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted