1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged spherical shell

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charged spherical insulating shell has inner radius a and outer radius b. The charge density on the shell is ρ.
    insulator.gif
    What is the magnitude of the E-field at a distance r away from the center of the shell where r < a?

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss' Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I read through the Gauss' law chapter in my textbook, and it stated that the internal electric field of such a charged insulator is zero. Therefore, I know the answer is 0 but I do not know why. Any explanation as to why this answer is correct would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2
    Well, Gauss's law states that: [tex]\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot \ d \mathbf{A} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] What is the enclosed charge if you use a Gaussian surface inside the cavity?

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    0. Is it because there is no charge in the cavity?

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4
    Correct. If you imagine your Gaussian surface to be a sphere inside the cavity centered at the center of the larger sphere, no charge is inside (so Qenc = 0). All the charge is in the insulated sphere in this problem.

Now, the integral being equal to 0 is not a necessary condition to declare that the electric field is 0. For instance, [itex]\int _{-1} ^1 x \ dx = 0[/itex], so this is not enough to declare that there is no electric field inside.
    Edit: changing the argument because I saw a flaw in it. Simply put: by symmetry, the electric field should cancel out everywhere inside the sphere.

If it didn't cancel out, which direction would get precedence? Why should any direction of a perfectly symmetrical sphere get the privilege of having the electric field not cancel out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted