Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging objects by friction & chemical reaction

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    While rubbing the plastic rod with the wool causes the building up of charges on both of them.

1. What chemical reaction takes place between them.
    2. Does it create anions and cations?
    3. Is it the transfer of free electrons (I don't think so, because generally they are bad conductor of electricity.)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is called a triboelectric effect (try to google that).

4. Sep 5, 2014 #3
    Yes, have read it. But they are talking about exchange of electrons. But couldn't find out if those electrons are the
    1. free electrons,
    OR
    2. molecules on one surface snatches away the electrons from the molecules of other surface making the snatcher as anions and the looser as cations.

Do reply,

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. Sep 5, 2014 #4

Borek

Neither of the objects involved has free electrons, so they are ruled out.

6. Sep 5, 2014 #5

DrClaude

7. Sep 5, 2014 #6
    Then the only possibilities are...

1. Ripping away of an electron from molecule of one surface, thus turning that molecule into a positive ion. The lost electron becomes part of the molecule of the other surface and it becomes a negative ion.

OR

2. Tearing away the Molecule of one surface making it a positive ion (or negative ion). The teared part of the molecule makes a bond with the molecule of other surface and thus makes a more complex negative ion.

I think any of the above tend to happen. There is no other possibility remaining.

Kindly comment.

Thanks

8. Apr 20, 2015 #7
    Hello people I know that there are onlyfthree methods to charge an object
    1 by friction or chemical reaction
    2 by tribo-electro method
    3 charging by induction and conduction
    But can applying voltage to a metallic object from a battery who's other terminal is grounded produce static charge on that metallic object??

9. Apr 20, 2015 #8

Borek

Yes, but it is already mentioned in your list. That would classify as charging by conduction for me.

10. Apr 20, 2015 #9
    QUOTE="Borek, post: 5081879, member: 23711"]Yes, but it is already mentioned in your list. That would classify as charging by conduction for me.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you sir ......So the metal will get charged right???

11. Apr 20, 2015 #10

Borek

Yes. Typically pretty small charge, but it will be definitely there.

Whenever you have two objects and potential difference between them, you can be sure they are charged (or at least one is charged).

12. Apr 20, 2015 #11
    Thank you sir!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook