Charles, Gay-Lussac and of course Boyle

  • Thread starter Thread starter susan__t
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Course
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
susan__t
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
I'm having a little bit of an issue trying to find an equation to use when the initial and final temperature, pressure and volume are all variable

I know [tex]\frac{V1}{T1}[/tex] =[tex]\frac{V2}{T2}[/tex]

and [tex]\frac{P1}{T1}[/tex] =[tex]\frac{P2}{T2}[/tex]

and P1V1=P2V2

But I want to combine them so that I can get the V2 when the Pressure and Temperature 1 and 2 both vary.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 ? Sorry I used to know this but i can't seem to remember
 
susan__t said:
maybe P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 ? Sorry I used to know this but i can't seem to remember

If I understood your question accurately ... yes , assuming that the moles are constant.
 
The combined gas law states that when moles are constant, P1V1T2=P2V2T1 (basically what has been said above, but getting rid of those fractions).