Charles, Gay-Lussac and of course Boyle

• Thread starter susan__t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation to use when the initial and final temperature, pressure, and volume are all variable. The speaker suggests using the equations \frac{V1}{T1} =\frac{V2}{T2} and \frac{P1}{T1} =\frac{P2}{T2}, but wants to combine them to find V2 when all three variables vary. The expert suggests using the combined gas law, P1V1T2=P2V2T1, assuming the moles are constant.
susan__t
I'm having a little bit of an issue trying to find an equation to use when the initial and final temperature, pressure and volume are all variable

I know [tex]\frac{V1}{T1}[/tex] =[tex]\frac{V2}{T2}[/tex]

and [tex]\frac{P1}{T1}[/tex] =[tex]\frac{P2}{T2}[/tex]

and P1V1=P2V2

But I want to combine them so that I can get the V2 when the Pressure and Temperature 1 and 2 both vary.

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 ? Sorry I used to know this but i can't seem to remember

susan__t said:
maybe P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 ? Sorry I used to know this but i can't seem to remember

If I understood your question accurately ... yes , assuming that the moles are constant.

The combined gas law states that when moles are constant, P1V1T2=P2V2T1 (basically what has been said above, but getting rid of those fractions).

1. Who were Charles, Gay-Lussac, and Boyle?

Charles, Gay-Lussac, and Boyle were all famous scientists who made significant contributions to the field of chemistry. Charles is known for his work on the relationship between temperature and volume of gases, Gay-Lussac for his studies on the combining volumes of gases, and Boyle for his discovery of the inverse relationship between pressure and volume of gases.

2. What is Charles's Law?

Charles's Law states that, at constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, and vice versa.

3. How did Gay-Lussac contribute to the understanding of gases?

Gay-Lussac's most famous contribution to the study of gases is his Law of Combining Volumes, which states that when gases react, they do so in volumes that are in simple ratios to each other. This law helped to further the understanding of the behavior of gases in chemical reactions.

4. What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law states that, at constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. In other words, as the pressure of a gas increases, its volume decreases, and vice versa.

5. How are Charles, Gay-Lussac, and Boyle related to each other?

Charles, Gay-Lussac, and Boyle are all related through their contributions to the study of gases. Their laws and discoveries helped to lay the foundation for the modern understanding of gas behavior and paved the way for further advancements in the field of chemistry.