Thermodynamics: find the change of internal energy, the work and Q

In summary, according to the first principle of thermodynamics, the change in internal energy (ΔU) equals the work done (W) plus the heat exchanged (Q). The work done is equal to the initial pressure (P) multiplied by the change in volume (ΔV), which is determined by the final and initial temperatures (T2 and T1) and the initial volume (V1). To determine the heat exchanged, one must first calculate the change in internal energy, which is equal to the heat capacity (c) times the number of moles (n) times the change in temperature (T2-T1). For a monoatomic ideal gas like Helium, the heat capacity at constant volume is equal to
zvwner
Homework Statement
A recipient with a plunger/piston is filled with Helium. The gas has initial temperature T1, pressure P and occupies a volume V1. Suddenly, the pressure changes to P/5 and the Helium expands irreversibly while heating up to T2. Find the internal energy change, the work realized during the expansion and the heat exchanged during the process.
Relevant Equations
Thermodynamics equations
According to the first principle of thermodynamics: ΔU = W + Q
Also noting that: W = -P⋅ΔV (Question: This P is the initial pressure or the final?)

To find V2:

(P1⋅V1) / T1 = (P2⋅V2) / T2 → Therefore, (P⋅V1) / T1 = [(P/5)⋅V2] / T2 → (P⋅V1) / T1 = (P⋅V2) / (5⋅T2) → V2 = (5⋅T2⋅V1) / T1

So, ΔV = V2 - V1 = [(5⋅T2⋅V1) / T1] - T1 → ΔV = [V1(5⋅T2 - T1)] / T1

Now, to replace in the formula of the work W = -P⋅ΔV do I use P or P/5 ?

And also, it is OK to use Q = T2-T1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
zvwner said:
Homework Statement:: A recipient with a plunger/piston is filled with Helium. The gas has initial temperature T1, pressure P and occupies a volume V1. Suddenly, the pressure changes to P/5 and the Helium expands irreversibly while heating up to T2. Find the internal energy change, the work realized during the expansion and the heat exchanged during the process.
Homework Equations:: Thermodynamics equations

According to the first principle of thermodynamics: ΔU = W + Q
Also noting that: W = -P⋅ΔV (Question: This P is the initial pressure or the final?)

To find V2:

(P1⋅V1) / T1 = (P2⋅V2) / T2 → Therefore, (P⋅V1) / T1 = [(P/5)⋅V2] / T2 → (P⋅V1) / T1 = (P⋅V2) / (5⋅T2) → V2 = (5⋅T2⋅V1) / T1

So, ΔV = V2 - V1 = [(5⋅T2⋅V1) / T1] - T1 → ΔV = [V1(5⋅T2 - T1)] / T1

No. ##\Delta V=\left[5\frac{T_2}{T_1}-1\right]V_1##

Now, to replace in the formula of the work W = -P⋅ΔV do I use P or P/5 ?
You use P/5. That is the pressure that the gas does work against.
And also, it is OK to use Q = T2-T1 ?
No. You need to determine the change in internal energy first. For an ideal gas, how is the internal energy change related to the temperature change (and heat capacity at constant volume)?

Likes JD_PM
Many thanks for your time.
So, W = -P⋅V1[(T2/T1) - (1/5)]

Now, to determine Q and the internal energy change:
I know that:
ΔU = W + Q
and
U = cnT (internal energy equals to the heat capacity by the number of moles by the temperature) At a constant volume. But none of the other values are given. So how do I follow?

zvwner said:
Many thanks for your time.
So, W = -P⋅V1[(T2/T1) - (1/5)]

Now, to determine Q and the internal energy change:
I know that:
ΔU = W + Q
and
U = cnT (internal energy equals to the heat capacity by the number of moles by the temperature) At a constant volume. But none of the other values are given. So how do I follow?
For a monoatomic ideal gas like Helium, what is the molar heat capacity at constant volume in terms of R?
From the ideal gas law, what is the number of moles n in terms of P, V1, R, and T1?

Think of the word suddenly in the exercise statement. It implies that the expansion happens really fast, which simplifies the first law of Thermodynamics.

JD_PM said:
Think of the word suddenly in the exercise statement. It implies that the expansion happens really fast, which simplifies the first law of Thermodynamics.
What are you driving at here?

Chestermiller said:
What are you driving at here?

Adiabatic expansion

JD_PM said:
Adiabatic expansion
This is not necessarily an adiabatic expansion. They specify the temperature change.

Likes JD_PM
Chestermiller said:
This is not necessarily an adiabatic expansion.

Ahh I think I see why we cannot assume adiabatic expansion here.

I had the following P-V Diagram in mind:

Captura de pantalla (867).png

But this implies that ##T_b < T_a## and the statement says:

zvwner said:
while heating up to T2

Thus we expect ##T_b > T_a## instead.

JD_PM said:
Ahh I think I see why we cannot assume adiabatic expansion here.

I had the following P-V Diagram in mind:

View attachment 254938

But this implies that ##T_b < T_a## and the statement says:
Thus we expect ##T_b > T_a## instead.
Even if it were adiabatic expansion, the P-v diagram for this problem would not look the way you have drawn it.

Many thanks for all the comments! I think I got it now.
👌

Likes JD_PM

1. What is internal energy and how is it related to thermodynamics?

Internal energy is the total sum of all the microscopic energy of a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of its particles. In thermodynamics, internal energy is a state function, meaning it only depends on the current state of the system and not on how it got there.

2. How can the change of internal energy be calculated?

The change of internal energy can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat transferred into the system, minus the work done by the system. This can be represented by the equation ΔU = Q - W.

3. What is work in thermodynamics and how is it calculated?

In thermodynamics, work is the transfer of energy between a system and its surroundings. It can be done by changing the state of the system or by moving the boundaries of the system. Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the system by the distance it moves, or by integrating the pressure-volume curve on a pressure-volume diagram.

4. How is heat (Q) related to thermodynamics?

Heat is also a form of energy and is an essential concept in thermodynamics. It represents the transfer of thermal energy between a system and its surroundings. Heat can be calculated by measuring the change in temperature and using the specific heat capacity of the substance.

5. What are some real-life applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has numerous real-life applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigerators, and heat pumps. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and climate change, as well as in the production of electricity from various sources, such as nuclear power plants.