Cheaper Alternative to FlexiForce Sensor

• Thread starter geolej
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, there is a conversation about finding an alternative to the expensive FlexiForce 1lb sensor, which costs $20 per piece. One suggestion is to try CUI for pressure sensors, but it may also be expensive and require a large order. The possibility of using cheap digital scales is also mentioned, which typically use resistive strain gauge sensors to measure force. However, this should not be confused with a load cell.
geolej
Is there a alternative to the FlexiForce 1lb sensor. $20.00 a piece is rather high for my project, seeing how I will need multiple ones. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could try CUI, but i don't know how much their pressure sensors might run you:
http://www.cui.com/

I gave them a call, the impression I got is I would need a huge order and is far more expensive than the FlexiForce. How is weight mesuared in those cheap digital scales? I am sure those are accurate enough for my purposes.

Electronic scales usually use some type of resistive strain gauge sensor to measure the displacement in a structure and back calculate the force from that which is similar to how the flexiforce things work. This should not be confused with a load cell.

What is a FlexiForce sensor?

A FlexiForce sensor is a type of force-sensitive resistor that can measure the amount of force applied to it. It consists of a conductive material sandwiched between two layers of flexible material, creating a sensor that can bend and flex when force is applied.

Why would someone need a cheaper alternative to a FlexiForce sensor?

FlexiForce sensors can be quite expensive, especially for large-scale projects or for individuals on a tight budget. A cheaper alternative may be necessary for those who cannot afford the cost of a FlexiForce sensor.

What are some alternatives to FlexiForce sensors?

Some alternatives to FlexiForce sensors include piezoelectric sensors, strain gauges, load cells, and force-sensitive resistors made from other materials such as carbon or polymer.

Are cheaper alternatives to FlexiForce sensors less accurate?

Not necessarily. While FlexiForce sensors are known for their high accuracy and repeatability, there are cheaper alternatives that can also provide accurate force measurements. It is important to do research and choose a reputable alternative with good reviews and specifications.

Can a cheaper alternative to FlexiForce sensors be used in the same applications?

Yes, in most cases, a cheaper alternative to FlexiForce sensors can be used in the same applications. However, it is important to consider the specific requirements and specifications of the project and make sure the alternative sensor can meet those needs.