Cheat sheet policy at your school?

• Thread starter physicsgal
  • Start date
eep
Most of my classes usually allow us to bring 1 or 2 pages of notes, with whatever we want on them. They seriously don't help, though, you have to understand the concepts. The sheets are only useful to quickly look up a formula you need to apply rather than having to derive it on the spot from basic principles, but that doesn't really help you figure out how to solve the problem, it only lets you save time solving it.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I love how so many people in here think they can just 'derive' entire forumlas on exams. Cheat sheets do NOT make you lazy. I have exams that are open book, open notes. Do you think you can derive every formula for heat transfer AND solve a long exam? No, you can't. Give me a break.
Haven't you noticed that the people who say they can are still in high school or in first year.

I have never taken heat transfer and I never plan too, but my girlfriend took it. I didn't hear pretty things.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Why does that count as cheating? Everytime I've ever been permitted to use a cheat sheet, I was permitted to put anything at all I wanted on it, with the possible exception of microfilm.

- Warren
With my upcoming exams, we are allowed to print on them!

Anyways, it was suppose to be open book because the midterm was, but the final would be open book if and only if the students did well on the midterm. Lots of students did poorly!!! They all thought that open book makes it an automatic easy midterm!

Good god. I would have failed if I didn't have any practice or didn't know where to look, which happened to quite a few!

Wow, talk about taking things for granted to its fullest.

I love how so many people in here think they can just 'derive' entire forumlas on exams. Cheat sheets do NOT make you lazy. I have exams that are open book, open notes. Do you think you can derive every formula for heat transfer AND solve a long exam? No, you can't. Give me a break.
Again I think the ebst way to get around that is to solve problems in order to study. If you spend a little bit of time reading so you knwo the concepts and a majority of time solving problems, you should be able to remember the equations and the simple derivations needed. I don't think you should know how to derive everything off the top of your head, but if you work through them on your own time, and spend time solving problems you won't need to try and memorize 200 equations the night before a test

Again I think the ebst way to get around that is to solve problems in order to study. If you spend a little bit of time reading so you knwo the concepts and a majority of time solving problems, you should be able to remember the equations and the simple derivations needed. I don't think you should know how to derive everything off the top of your head, but if you work through them on your own time, and spend time solving problems you won't need to try and memorize 200 equations the night before a test
Like I said, maybe for physics 1, or 2. After that, nope. There are no more 'simple derivations'.

Like I said, maybe for physics 1, or 2. After that, nope. There are no more 'simple derivations'.
Maybe you don't have simple derivations, but to take upper level electrodynamics and mechanics courses, for example (what I'm doing this semester), it's not hard to recall Maxwell's Equations or the Euler-Lagrange Equation if you've worked at least a minimum of problems.

Take a look at the back of Griffiths, for example. Most of what you need to solve an electrodynamics problem is right there, and those equations are all pretty basic.

I won't foolishly say there is no need for references on exams, since sometimes there is absolutely that need, but to claim that there are not "simple derivations" in advanced physics is misleading. There may not be simple derivations, but there are still simple results that should not be too hard to recall.