1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chebyshev's Theorem Limit Question-Value Greater than 1

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

According to Nielsen Media Research, kids ages 12-17 watch an average of 3 hours of tv per day. Suppose that the standard deviation is 1 hour and that the distribution of time spent watching tv has a bell-shaped distribution.

a) what percentage of kids aged 12-17 watch tv between 2 and 3 hours per day?

2. Relevant equations

1-1/z^2

3. The attempt at a solution

The standard deviation of 2 hours is 1, from the mean. But the value of z has to be greater than 1. With a question that has a range in it, usually means both sides will have a standard deviation from the mean. But one side is 1 and the other is the same as the mean.

So we only have one side, and I divided 1 in half to get .5 and plugged it into the formula.

1-1/.5^2

1-1/.25

1-4

The answer is 34%.

I know I'm missing a step but I don't know what step. The formula is pretty straight forward and I get it, but this problem is really messing me up.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Chebyshev's inequality only makes a general statement about any probability distribution. So for example, if you plug in z = 1, you get 1-1/z^2 = 0, which means that no less than 0 of the values are more than 1 standard deviation away from the mean. But in this case, you know that the distribution is normal (a bell curve), so you can get a more precise answer, which is going to be the 34%.

As for how to get that 34%... look it up maybe? Or if you know the formula for the cumulative normal distribution (the error function), you can use that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook