Ti-89 Calculator question (Statistics)

In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to calculate the mean and standard deviation for a random variable representing the sum of the dots facing upward when two standard six-sided dice are rolled. The student enters the possible values of the random variable in List 1 and uses a probability distribution formula to calculate the probabilities in List 2. However, when trying to use the "1-Var Stats" function on a Ti-89, the student encounters a syntax error. The expert suggests looking at a manual for the Ti-89 for information on entering lists.
AKJ1

Homework Statement

Calculate the mean and standard deviation for the random variable X which equals the sum of the dots facing upward when two standard six-sided dice are rolled.

The Attempt at a Solution

In List 1, I entered all the possible values of the random variable X:

the probability distribution formula I was given is

Px = (6-abs(7-X))/36

So then for List 2 I entered (6-abs(7-List1))/36

Thus now in List 2 I have the probability for each of the possible random variable values.

Up to this point I have exactly what my professor has.

Next my professor (using a Ti84) goes back to the home screen and enters "1-Var Stats L1,L2" for List 1 and 2 respectively and then obtains the necessary values.

I am using a Ti-89, so upon entering my values I went to F-4 --> 1-Var Stats---> and under "List:" I entered L1,L2 (the names of my list) and it gave me a syntax error. Thank you for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
AKJ1 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the mean and standard deviation for the random variable X which equals the sum of the dots facing upward when two standard six-sided dice are rolled.

The Attempt at a Solution

In List 1, I entered all the possible values of the random variable X:

the probability distribution formula I was given is

Px = (6-abs(7-X))/36

So then for List 2 I entered (6-abs(7-List1))/36

Thus now in List 2 I have the probability for each of the possible random variable values.

Up to this point I have exactly what my professor has.

Next my professor (using a Ti84) goes back to the home screen and enters "1-Var Stats L1,L2" for List 1 and 2 respectively and then obtains the necessary values.

I am using a Ti-89, so upon entering my values I went to F-4 --> 1-Var Stats---> and under "List:" I entered L1,L2 (the names of my list) and it gave me a syntax error.Thank you for any input.

I do not own a Ti-89, but I looked on-line for information about "Ti-89 + statistics", and found
http://facstaff.cbu.edu/~wschrein/media/Stat/TI89man.pdf ,
which has information about entering lists. Pages 4-5 give some examples of use.

1. How do I enter data into the Ti-89 calculator for statistics?

To enter data into the Ti-89 calculator for statistics, press the "Apps" button, select the "Data/Matrix Editor" option, and then choose "New..." to create a new data set. You can then enter your data values into the table.

2. How do I calculate basic statistical measures like mean, median, and standard deviation on the Ti-89 calculator?

To calculate these measures, go to the "Stats/List Editor" and select the data set you want to work with. Then, press the "F6" key to access the "Statistics" menu. From there, you can choose the desired measure and the calculator will calculate it for you.

3. Can the Ti-89 calculator perform regression analysis?

Yes, the Ti-89 calculator has a built-in function for performing regression analysis. You can access it by going to the "Stats/List Editor" and selecting the data set you want to work with. Then, press the "F6" key and choose the "Regression" option.

4. How do I create a scatter plot on the Ti-89 calculator?

To create a scatter plot, go to the "Stats/List Editor" and select the data set you want to work with. Then, press the "F6" key and choose the "Plot" option. From there, you can select "Scatter" and the calculator will plot the data for you.

5. Can the Ti-89 calculator perform hypothesis testing?

Yes, the Ti-89 calculator has a built-in function for performing hypothesis testing. You can access it by going to the "Stats/List Editor" and selecting the data set you want to work with. Then, press the "F6" key and choose the "Test" option. From there, you can select the desired test and the calculator will perform it for you.