Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check out the new bookshelf

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And if anyone knows what that laminate is and where I could find some to apply.... please let me know so i dont feel like a total idiot.

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    you've got so many upside down shelves you should turn the whole thing upside down and you'd be closer to correct.

5. Jan 22, 2006 #4
    you have the same poker set on the top shelf as me:approve:

6. Jan 22, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: The good news is that the way those things are built, it really won't matter if a shelf is upside-down in terms of being able to hold what it's supposed to hold. It'll just look funny.

The more frightening thing I see is its location, right in front of a window! :eek: A bookshelf that tall should be up against a wall, and anchored to the wall so it doesn't topple onto you.

7. Jan 22, 2006 #6
    How much does that physics text on the left weigh O___O

8. Jan 22, 2006 #7
    I like your wall paper.

Just Kidding! :biggrin:

9. Jan 22, 2006 #8
    Jelfish, you have to put all the heavy books on the top, not the bottom. You are safe to about 3x the rated loading. I figure its got a safety factor of 3.0

10. Jan 22, 2006 #9
    I just noticed how dirty your carpet is....

11. Jan 22, 2006 #10
    Are you confusing species again? :confused:

12. Jan 22, 2006 #11
    Ahhhhh! Man not again!

13. Jan 22, 2006 #12
    That thing is going to kill you!

14. Jan 22, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems like bad Feng Shui to put the bookshelves in front of the window.

15. Jan 22, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:surprised :surprised :surprised

I didn't come on here to have my interior decorating skills mocked

16. Jan 22, 2006 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a lot cleaner than most bedroom pictures I see online.

From what I see anyways. He might've crammed everything on the other side of the room, so he can look good on PF. :eek:

17. Jan 22, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You should see what happens when that camera moves about 30 degrees to the right :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Jan 22, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, right, sorry, forgive us. :redface: You came on here to have your building and instruction following skills mocked. :biggrin:

I guess if you don't want to take it apart and turn the upside-down shelves right-side-up, you could get contact paper in a color that would match your room and cover the shelves so nobody can tell that some are wrong-side-up. :rolleyes:

19. Jan 22, 2006 #18
    Please, never set up your own lab experiments, EVER. This is why you do physics and not mechanical engineering. Just read the theory in the instructions. Let the qualified engineers do the real grunt work.

20. Jan 22, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was harder...

...making the bookshelf?

...or...

... making space for the bookshelf? :biggrin:

21. Jan 22, 2006 #20
    I know those shelves. I've put them together hundreds of times back when I put together store displays. Don't they have the quick connect cams so you can easily take it apart? Oh but you probably used all the nails putting the back on didn't you?
    I can put those shelves together in about 4 minutes, so grab your pliers pull out the nails in the back and do the job right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?