Check Your Solution: Parametric Equations for a Line through Two Points P and Q

• Thread starter randy_1981
  • Start date
In summary, Gottca was able to provide a solution to the problem of finding parametric equations for a line through two points. She was able to find a value for t so that the line passed through the points and she also found another value for t so that the line had the form (1-t) P + t Q.
randy_1981
Would somebody be so kind as to tell how I can check my solution to this problem(s) below:

Find parametric equations for the line through the points P=(-2,0,3) and Q=(3,5,2).

More specifically, I feel that I should be able to substitute some value for t or (x,y,z) to confirm my solutions. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread to our homework section.

What did you get as solution?
randy_1981 said:
More specifically, I feel that I should be able to substitute some value for t or (x,y,z) to confirm my solutions. Thanks!
You should be able to plug in some values of t into your solution to get your two points.

If you have parametric equations, take any two values for the parameter and check if the points you get are on the same lie as the two given points. Depending upon how you find the parametric equations, it should be easy to choose the parameters so you get the given points. Of course, a line is determined by two points so you only need to check two.

Ok, I'm about to reveal my ignorance but how do I determine what the parameter values are?

My solution is r(t)=< 5t-2, 5t , 3-5t >

randy_1981 said:
Ok, I'm about to reveal my ignorance but how do I determine what the parameter values are?

randy_1981 said:
My solution is r(t)=< 5t-2, 5t , 3-5t >
Is there some value of the parameter t so that r(t) = (-2, 0, 3)? Is there another value of t so that r(t) = (3, 5, 2)? If the answers to these questions aren't obvious by inspection, set up an equation with <5t - 2, 5t, 3 - 5t> on one side, and either of the given points on the other side, and solve for t.

Gottca, thanks for the help! I'm undergoing a self study program and some things that should be obvious aren't at times.

randy_1981 said:
Gottca, thanks for the help! I'm undergoing a self study program and some things that should be obvious aren't at times.

Basically, that is what "through" means in this type of problem When you say the line passes through the points P=(-2,0,3) and Q=(3,5,2), this means that for some value of t you will have <5t - 2, 5t, 3 - 5t> = <-2,0,3>, while for some other value of t you will have <5t - 2, 5t, 3 - 5t> = <3,5,2>. Componentwise, <a,b,c> = <d,e,f> means a = d, b = e and c = f.

BTW: another (easier?) way is to note that the line through ##P = \langle -2,0,3 \rangle## and ##Q = \langle 3,5,2 \rangle## has the form
[tex] (1-t) P + t Q = (1-t) \langle -2,0,3 \rangle + t \langle 3,5,2 \rangle [/tex]
For ## 0 \leq t \leq 1## the points are on the line-segment joining P and Q (with point = P when t = 0 and point = Q when t = 1). For t < 0 the points are on the line "before" P (that is, on the side away from Q), while for t > 1 they are on the line "after" Q (that is, on the side away from P).

If you are referring to something like "[itex]3x- 7\le 2[/itex] so [itex]3x\le 9[/itex], [itex]x\le 3[/itex], you can't do that for functions that are not "one to one".

You can always simplify ##3x- 7\le 2## to ##x \le 3## (assuming real numbers).
And all the functions that might come up here are injective.

Related to Check Your Solution: Parametric Equations for a Line through Two Points P and Q

1. How do I know if my solution is correct?

There are a few ways you can check your solution to confirm its correctness. One method is to compare your solution to the given problem or question and see if it satisfies all the requirements. Another way is to use a calculator or computer program to verify your answer. Additionally, you can ask a fellow scientist or instructor to review your solution and provide feedback.

2. What should I do if my solution is incorrect?

If you find that your solution is incorrect, don't panic! Take a step back and carefully review your steps and calculations. Double check your work for any mistakes or errors. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different method. If you're still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask for help from a colleague or mentor.

3. Can I use multiple methods to check my solution?

Absolutely! In fact, it's often recommended to use multiple methods to check your solution to ensure its accuracy. Different methods may provide different perspectives and help catch any mistakes or errors that may have been missed. Just be sure to clearly document all the methods you used to check your solution.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should check my solution?

There is no specific order in which you should check your solution, but it's generally recommended to start by comparing your solution to the given problem or question. From there, you can move on to using a calculator or computer program, and then asking for feedback from a fellow scientist or instructor. You can also use multiple methods concurrently.

5. How can I prevent making mistakes when checking my solution?

To avoid making mistakes when checking your solution, it's important to pay close attention to detail and be thorough in your work. Double check your calculations, use multiple methods, and ask for feedback from others. It's also helpful to take breaks and come back to your solution with a fresh perspective. And remember, making mistakes is a normal part of the scientific process, so don't be too hard on yourself!