Check Your Solutions for Equations Homework

• Thread starter Enochfoul
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for their work to be checked for solving two equations involving trigonometric functions. The person providing the summary suggests checking if the results are correct and mentions using a graph as a method of verification. They also suggest using a substitution method for one of the equations.
Enochfoul

Homework Statement

Hi Could somebody please check my working to see if I have solved the following equations properly?

Homework Equations

1) cos2θ = sin θ
2) sin 2θ - 1 = cos2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Scanned working attached

Attachments

• 4part1.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 195
  • 4part2.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
Physics news on Phys.org
Looked okay to me on quick look.

It is easy for you to check whether the results are correct! Just see if they work.

It is pretty obvious they are the only solutions. But if there were ever any doubt in a problem like this, you need only do a graph from 0 to 360°.

Likes Enochfoul
Enochfoul said:

Homework Statement

Hi Could somebody please check my working to see if I have solved the following equations properly?

Homework Equations

1) cos2θ = sin θ
2) sin 2θ - 1 = cos2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Scanned working attached
Check if all your results are solutions.
It would have been easier to substitute cos(2θ) with 2cos2(θ)-1.

Related to Check Your Solutions for Equations Homework

1. What is the purpose of checking solutions for equations homework?

The purpose of checking solutions for equations homework is to ensure that your answers are correct and to identify any mistakes that may have been made. This helps to reinforce understanding of the equations and allows for corrections to be made, ultimately leading to better performance on exams and quizzes.

2. How do you check solutions for equations homework?

To check solutions for equations homework, you can follow these steps:

• Step 1: Substitute the given values into the equation
  • Step 2: Simplify the equation using mathematical operations
  • Step 3: Compare the result with the given solution
  • Step 4: If the values match, then the solution is correct. If not, check for any errors and try again.

3. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when checking solutions for equations homework?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when checking solutions for equations homework include:

• Calculating incorrectly or using the wrong formula
  • Forgetting to include negative signs or using them incorrectly
  • Forgetting to substitute all the given values into the equation
  • Misreading the given solution

4. Is it necessary to check solutions for equations homework if I am confident in my answers?

Yes, it is always recommended to check solutions for equations homework even if you are confident in your answers. This will help catch any mistakes that may have been made, and ensure that your understanding of the equations is accurate.

5. How can I improve my performance in checking solutions for equations homework?

To improve your performance in checking solutions for equations homework, you can try the following tips:

• Double-check your calculations and always show your work
  • Ask for help from a teacher or tutor if you are unsure about a particular equation
  • Practice regularly to strengthen your understanding and problem-solving skills
  • Use a variety of resources, such as online tutorials or textbooks, to reinforce your knowledge