Use power-reducing formulas to rewrite

• Thread starter AlisonWagner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the problem asks to use power-reducing formulas to rewrite 152sin^2 x cos^2 x. The power-reducing formulas for sin^2θ and cos^2θ are provided. The attempt at a solution involves using these formulas and simplifying the expression, but the answer does not match the expected answer. However, the mistake of not simplifying the initial fraction correctly is pointed out, leading to the correct answer of 19-19 cos4x.
AlisonWagner

Homework Statement

Use power-reducing formulas to rewrite 152sin^2 x cos^2 x

Homework Equations

sin^2θ= 1-cos2θ/ 2 and cos^2θ= 1+cos2θ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

152(1-cos2x/2)(1+cos2x/2), 152/4 (1^2 - cos^2 2x), 30(1-(1+cos4x/2), and I got 30-30+30cos4x/2 as the answer but the answer is supposed to be 19-19 cos4x. I have no idea how that can be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Alison! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
AlisonWagner said:
152/4 (1^2 - cos^2 2x), 30(1-(1+cos4x/2)

Nooo :redface:

(but anyway wouldn't it be simpler to start with sin2xcos2x = (sinxcosx)2 ? :wink:)

AlisonWagner said:

Homework Statement

Use power-reducing formulas to rewrite 152sin^2 x cos^2 x

Homework Equations

sin^2θ= 1-cos2θ/ 2 and cos^2θ= 1+cos2θ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

152(1-cos2x/2)(1+cos2x/2), 152/4 (1^2 - cos^2 2x), 30(1-(1+cos4x/2), and I got 30-30+30cos4x/2 as the answer but the answer is supposed to be 19-19 cos4x. I have no idea how that can be?

##\frac{152} 4 = 38##.

and then what would I do after that? Because I know we are supposed to use the power reducing formulas to solve it

Ooh well I guess doing the right math would help me get that...haha thanks for pointing that out! Now I know my mistake!

What are power-reducing formulas?

Power-reducing formulas are mathematical equations that allow us to rewrite expressions with exponents in a simpler form. They are used to simplify complicated expressions and make them easier to work with.

Why do we need to use power-reducing formulas?

We use power-reducing formulas to make mathematical expressions easier to manipulate and solve. By rewriting an expression using these formulas, we can often simplify it and make it more manageable to work with.

How do you know when to use a power-reducing formula?

You can use a power-reducing formula when you have an expression with exponents, and you want to simplify it. Look for expressions with exponents that follow a specific pattern, such as (a^m)^n or (a^n)^m, and use the corresponding formula to rewrite it.

What are some common power-reducing formulas?

Some common power-reducing formulas include (a^m)^n = a^(m*n), (ab)^n = a^n*b^n, and (a^n)(a^m) = a^(n+m). Other formulas involve using trigonometric identities, such as sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. It is essential to familiarize yourself with these formulas to make solving expressions easier.

Are there any special rules for using power-reducing formulas?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when using power-reducing formulas. For instance, you can only use the formulas when the base is the same, and the exponent is an integer. Additionally, the formulas are only valid for real numbers, not complex numbers. It is essential to check the validity of your result after using a power-reducing formula.