Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checkers - rules when one player can't move?

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    I was playing checkers today with a friend and the weirdest thing happened. I was black and he was red. I had a black piece situated so that there were no possible moves for his red piece, but i could still make a move. It eventually came down to him having two pieces (one that couldn't move and one that could), and me having two pieces. I destroyed his piece that was able to move and his turn came up, but he couldn't make a single move. What has to happen then? Does red have to forfeit? or is it just a tie?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2
    Then you have to learn how to play Chess. :smile:

4. Apr 26, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you don't know the rules, then you look them up, of course! :tongue:

e.g. Wikipedia has a checkers page.

5. Apr 26, 2008 #4
  6. Apr 27, 2008 #5
    thanks for replies

Thanks, I guess I won that game :D.

I do play chess sometimes. The only real reason I play checkers is because whenever I go biking I stop at a small fast food place that has checkers boards painted on the tables :P. It's always a good time to play checkers while drinking shakes.

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6
    There's a place like that near here. Half the tables have checker boards painted on. The other half have chess boards.

8. Apr 27, 2008 #7
    Ah, you're lucky to have chess boards painted on the tables. We have chess and... Tic Tac Toe boards painted on the tables.

9. Apr 27, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

10. Apr 28, 2008 #9
    Sounds like a good place to take your queen for a night.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?