Checkers - rules when one player can't move?

• Thread starter GomezMan91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, during a game of checkers, the player with the black pieces had a situation where their opponent had one piece that couldn't move and one that could, while they had two pieces remaining. The player destroyed the opponent's movable piece, but then the opponent was unable to make any moves on their turn. The question of whether the opponent had to forfeit or if it was a tie arose. The suggestion was made to learn how to play chess as well. The conversation also included a recommendation for a chess game download and a discussion about playing checkers at a fast food restaurant with painted boards on the tables. The conversation ended with a humorous comment about taking a queen on a date at the restaurant.
GomezMan91
I was playing checkers today with a friend and the weirdest thing happened. I was black and he was red. I had a black piece situated so that there were no possible moves for his red piece, but i could still make a move. It eventually came down to him having two pieces (one that couldn't move and one that could), and me having two pieces. I destroyed his piece that was able to move and his turn came up, but he couldn't make a single move. What has to happen then? Does red have to forfeit? or is it just a tie?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then you have to learn how to play Chess. :smile:

GomezMan91 said:
his turn came up, but he couldn't make a single move.
If you don't know the rules, then you look them up, of course! :tongue:

e.g. Wikipedia has a checkers page.

thanks for replies

Hurkyl said:
If you don't know the rules, then you look them up, of course! :tongue:
Thanks, I guess I won that game :D.

Poop-Loops said:
Then you have to learn how to play Chess. :smile:
I do play chess sometimes. The only real reason I play checkers is because whenever I go biking I stop at a small fast food place that has checkers boards painted on the tables :P. It's always a good time to play checkers while drinking shakes.

GomezMan91 said:
I do play chess sometimes. The only real reason I play checkers is because whenever I go biking I stop at a small fast food place that has checkers boards painted on the tables :P.
There's a place like that near here. Half the tables have checker boards painted on. The other half have chess boards.

jimmysnyder said:
There's a place like that near here. Half the tables have checker boards painted on. The other half have chess boards.

Ah, you're lucky to have chess boards painted on the tables. We have chess and... Tic Tac Toe boards painted on the tables.

jimmysnyder said:

:rofl:

GomezMan91 said:
Ah, you're lucky to have chess boards painted on the tables. We have chess and... Tic Tac Toe boards painted on the tables.
Sounds like a good place to take your queen for a night.

What is the rule when one player can't move in checkers?

When one player is unable to make a legal move, the game is considered a draw or a tie. This rule is known as the "stalemate" rule.

Can a player voluntarily choose not to move in checkers?

No, a player cannot voluntarily choose not to move. If there is a legal move available, the player is required to make that move.

What happens if both players are unable to make a move?

If both players are unable to make a move, the game is considered a draw or a tie. This is also known as a "dead position".

Are there any special rules for kings when a player can't move?

Yes, if a player's only legal move is to move a king into a position where it can be captured on the next turn, the player is not allowed to make that move. This is known as the "king restriction" rule.

Can a player win by causing the opponent to be unable to move?

No, a player cannot win by forcing the opponent into a position where they are unable to make a legal move. This would result in a draw or a tie game.