Checking Speed and Velocity Problems

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I have four separate problems.

1.A certain boat cruises at 32 km/h. How long does it take the boat to travel 25 kilometers?

2. A person runs at a speed of 8.0 mi/h for 140 minutes. How far does the person travel?

3. A man is at sea on a raft, adrift on the ocean current. The current carries him 51 miles in 3 days. At this speed, how long would it take him to travel 400 miles?

4. A man competing in a bicycle race travels 57 km in 3.0 hours. If he maintains this average speed, how far will he go in 8.0 hours?

Homework Equations

T=x/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answered all of them, but would like to check them one more time before I turn them in. Here are my answers:

1. 47 minutes.
2. 18 miles.
3. 23 days.
4. 152 km.

Answers and Replies

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I have four separate problems.

1.A certain boat cruises at 32 km/h. How long does it take the boat to travel 25 kilometers?

2. A person runs at a speed of 8.0 mi/h for 140 minutes. How far does the person travel?

3. A man is at sea on a raft, adrift on the ocean current. The current carries him 51 miles in 3 days. At this speed, how long would it take him to travel 400 miles?

4. A man competing in a bicycle race travels 57 km in 3.0 hours. If he maintains this average speed, how far will he go in 8.0 hours?

Homework Equations

T=x/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answered all of them, but would like to check them one more time before I turn them in. Here are my answers:

1. 47 minutes.
2. 18 miles.
3. 23 days.
4. 152 km.
You appear to be rounding down too soon in 2 and 3. Other than that, your calculations are correct.

AM

Likes 1 person
Thank you! So your suggestion is that I should go back to where I divided and round up?