1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking Speed and Velocity Problems

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have four separate problems.

1.A certain boat cruises at 32 km/h. How long does it take the boat to travel 25 kilometers?

2. A person runs at a speed of 8.0 mi/h for 140 minutes. How far does the person travel?

3. A man is at sea on a raft, adrift on the ocean current. The current carries him 51 miles in 3 days. At this speed, how long would it take him to travel 400 miles?

4. A man competing in a bicycle race travels 57 km in 3.0 hours. If he maintains this average speed, how far will he go in 8.0 hours?

2. Relevant equations
    T=x/v

3. The attempt at a solution

I have answered all of them, but would like to check them one more time before I turn them in. Here are my answers:

1. 47 minutes.
    2. 18 miles.
    3. 23 days.
    4. 152 km.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You appear to be rounding down too soon in 2 and 3. Other than that, your calculations are correct.

AM

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    Thank you! So your suggestion is that I should go back to where I divided and round up?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted