Chem I: Determining Acidic, Basic or Neutral Salt

In summary: Now, if you add enough NaOH to make the total concentration of Na+ greater than the concentration of Ac- , then the reverse reaction will occur:NaAc + NaOH <--------> NaHAc + OH-This reaction will cause the water to become acidic because the Ac- has been converted to H+ and OH-.
markelmarcel

Homework Statement

Predict if the following salts are acidic, basic, neutral or undetermined.

Homework Equations

a. NaOCl

b. NH4I

c. Sr(ClO3)2

d. KCN

The Attempt at a Solution

A. NaClO = Na+ and ClO-
So, if Na+ gives up a proton, that would turn it into Na... and make ClO into HClO... and HClO is a strong acid.

B. NH4I = NH4+ and I-
So if NH4+ gives up a proton it turns into NH3 and HI... which is a strong acid.

C. Sr(ClO3)2 = Sr2+ and ClO3-
So if Sr gives away a proton it's left with Sr+ and ClO3 becomes neutral??

D. KCN = K+ and CN-
K can give up a proton and be K and make CN- have no charge... CN? Neutral?

I know that C is netural but I don't know why and I'm pretty sure I'm right on the two acids, but the last one I think is supposed to be basic, but I don't know how...

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be wrong about NaClO; One would imagine an anion with more oxygens could be for an acidic protonated form, but the ClO-1 is not from a strong acid. (Hypochlorite).

KCN ?
K+ from strong base, and CN- from weak acid.

symbolipoint said:
You must be wrong about NaClO; One would imagine an anion with more oxygens could be for an acidic protonated form, but the ClO-1 is not from a strong acid. (Hypochlorite).

KCN ?

See... I don't understand how this works. Haha. I got one at least! My prof went through all this a little too fast for me. Any online resources to help me better understand this? (I like to be active with learning, not a whiner who just wants the answers)

Originally Posted by symbolipoint:

KCN ?

Reply from markelmarcel:
See... I don't understand how this works. Haha. I got one at least! My prof went through all this a little too fast for me. Any online resources to help me better understand this? (I like to be active with learning, not a whiner who just wants the answers)

You do not need internet resources. Your textbook should have plenty of instructive discussion on acid-base chemistry. You will learn which acids are strong and which bases are strong. The rest are nearly always weak acids or bases. The ion of a weak acid or base will tend to hydrolize to recombine with the acid or base from which it is part.

As example, let Ac stand for "acetate" anion. If NaAc is dissolved in water, the salt ions are present in solution as ions; but some portion of Ac will recombine with H+ by hydrolysis:
Ac- + HOH <--------> HAc + OH-

That will tend to make the solution alkaline.

Last edited:

What is a salt in chemistry?

A salt in chemistry is a compound formed by the combination of an acid and a base. It is typically formed when an acid reacts with a base, resulting in the neutralization of both substances.

How is the acidity or basicity of a salt determined?

The acidity or basicity of a salt is determined by identifying the ions that make up the salt and their respective acidic or basic properties. If the cation of the salt comes from a strong base and the anion comes from a strong acid, the salt will be neutral. However, if the cation comes from a strong base and the anion comes from a weak acid, the salt will be basic. Similarly, if the cation comes from a weak base and the anion comes from a strong acid, the salt will be acidic.

What are some examples of acidic salts?

Some examples of acidic salts include ammonium chloride (NH4Cl), sodium dihydrogen phosphate (NaH2PO4), and potassium hydrogen sulfate (KHSO4). These salts are formed from the reaction of a weak base (ammonia, sodium hydroxide, and potassium hydroxide, respectively) with a strong acid (hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, and sulfuric acid, respectively).

What are some examples of basic salts?

Some examples of basic salts include sodium carbonate (Na2CO3), magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH)2), and calcium acetate (Ca(CH3COO)2). These salts are formed from the reaction of a strong base (sodium hydroxide, magnesium oxide, and calcium oxide, respectively) with a weak acid (carbonic acid, water, and acetic acid, respectively).

What are some examples of neutral salts?

Some examples of neutral salts include sodium chloride (NaCl), potassium sulfate (K2SO4), and calcium nitrate (Ca(NO3)2). These salts are formed from the reaction of a strong base (sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, and calcium hydroxide, respectively) with a strong acid (hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, and nitric acid, respectively).