1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chem - Oxidation and Reductions

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Im having some problems with some oxidation and reduction mechanisms. Im not sure if I am doing them correctly.

2. Relevant equations

1. O=C=O + CH3-MG++I-

2. Acetone + NH4+, Na+ H3BCN

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I break one of the bonds from the oxygen and protonate it to give me a carboxylic acid. Im not sure if I dehydrate it to form 2-propanol.

2. I don't really know where to start with this one. I think the NH4 adds a hydrogen to the oxygen, and then the carbon nitrile attacks and forces off the OH to form water, leaving Propane substituted with a CN group.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The first one is a Grignard reaction. I've never thought of it specifically as a redox reaction, but I guess it is. Anyway, the methyl anion is highly nucleophilic and attacks the electrophilic carbon on CO2 to give acetate. Upon acidic workup, the organic product is acetic acid.

2. The second one requires you to know that sodium cyanoborohydride is a weak reducing agent (weaker than sodium borohydride). The combination of acetone and ammonium will give an iminium ion (the carbonyl C=O is replaced with a C=NH2+). The cyanoborohydride reduces this to an amine. So the final product is isopropylamine (2-aminopropane in IUPAC language).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted