1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Chem] Problem finding a source for reaction rate constant

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I had an assignment where I needed to calculate reaction rate constants at different temperatures. I was supposed to use ab initio method (meaning I should use Spartan software), molecular partition functions and Eyring equation. The reaction was:

[itex]H+HD \stackrel{}{\leftrightarrow} HHD \stackrel{}{\leftrightarrow} H_{2} + D [/itex]

Where H is hydrogen and D deuterium and HHD transition state. It worked very well I've calculated rate constants and answered all questions but one. The last thing asked to do was to compare results with literature values. I remember my instructor said some people actually did measure rate constant for this reaction experimentally, so I figured there will be a publication about this. The problem is that I can't find it, I don't know if this reaction has some specific name so that I can use it in my search queries. I've tried searching with whole reaction equation as a query but I've got nothing with Google Scholar and ISI Web of Knowledge. I'll be grateful if somebody can point me in the right direction.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2012 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know more than me - I could not do that calculation, but I would call that a hydrogen-exchange reaction and I see that googling that name leads to relevant-seeming articles.

4. Dec 28, 2012 #3
    Thanks! The deadline for returning was yesterday mindnight and I've managed to find some sources in NIST Kinetics Database few ours before deadline. They were very old and the values were very odd, so I looked up publications that cited sources mentioned in NIST and found some acceptable values in more recent publications.
    Your guess is close, this reaction has several names in literature, hydrogen-deuterium conversion, isotope exchange reaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook