Chem Research for Physics Grad School

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate physics major who is currently unable to research with their PI due to their absence during the summer. However, they have found an opportunity to work with an organic chemistry group, which they believe they will enjoy. Despite the lab's focus on quantum physics, the speaker does not believe it will be relevant to their future in physics or graduate school. They are wondering if this opportunity is still worthwhile and how graduate programs will view their non-physics research. The speaker believes that having a recommendation from an organic chemist would not hurt and that broad-based experience can be beneficial. They plan to continue with the position and believe that letters of recommendation from research supervisors hold more weight than those from classroom teachers.
Mike K
I am a undergraduate physics major currently researching in a astrophysics lab. My PI is away this summer, so I will be unable to research with him between spring and fall semesters. However, I found an opportunity to do work with an organic chemistry group that I suspect I will enjoy (I enjoyed orgo having taken it while I was still a premed).

While the lab explores some subjects related to quantum physics, for the most part I would not be exploring subjects relevant to my future in physics/grad school.

Is this opportunity still worthwhile? How will graduate programs view doing non-physics research, or potentially having a recommendation from an organic chemist?

I still have plenty of time to find a physics group I would enjoy working for, but I also do not doubt I will like this position.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd stay the course. If you have a good recommendation from your astrophysics job, some organic chem research won't hurt. Broad based experience is not bad, especially if all the faculty you work for write good recommendation letters for you.

Letters from research supervisors mean more than from classroom teachers.

1. What is the purpose of conducting chemistry research for physics grad school?

The purpose of conducting chemistry research for physics grad school is to gain a better understanding of the fundamental principles and applications of chemistry in the field of physics. This research can also help students develop critical thinking skills, laboratory techniques, and data analysis skills that are essential for success in graduate school and beyond.

2. How does chemistry research benefit a physics graduate student?

Chemistry research can benefit a physics graduate student in several ways. It can provide hands-on experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and solving problems. It can also help students develop a deeper understanding of the connection between chemistry and physics, which can be useful in their future research endeavors.

3. What are some common areas of chemistry research in physics grad school?

Some common areas of chemistry research in physics grad school include theoretical and computational chemistry, physical chemistry, materials science, and biophysics. These areas of research involve studying the properties and behavior of molecules and materials at the atomic and molecular level, and their applications in various fields of physics.

4. How can chemistry research be integrated with physics research in grad school?

Chemistry research can be integrated with physics research in grad school through interdisciplinary projects and collaborations. This can involve using principles and techniques from both fields to solve complex problems, such as studying the structure and properties of new materials for use in advanced technologies.

5. What skills are needed to conduct chemistry research for physics grad school?

To conduct chemistry research for physics grad school, students need a strong foundation in chemistry and physics concepts, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They should also have good laboratory skills, including the ability to design experiments, collect and analyze data, and communicate their findings effectively.