Chemical Eng or MechE/Aerospace double?

• Thread starter Liondancer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to decide between two majors, chemistry and MAE. They are interested in chemistry but don't want to be stuck in a lab all day, and they like MAE because it involves hands-on work. They are looking for a more detailed description of both degrees and jobs to help them make a decision. The person then shares some links and additional information about the chemistry engineering program, and thanks the other person for their help. The conversation ends with a lighthearted comment about not knowing what to do with one's life and a joke about someone sleeping with the speaker's mother.
Liondancer
I'm still deciding between these two majors. I have some interests in chemistry but I don't want to stuck with mundane mixing chemicals in a lab all day. I like MAE because I prefer hands on work (but I might hate it when I'm older) and I like to build and fix things with my hands. I guess I need a detailed sort of degree and job description to help me make a choice.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be mixing chemicals in a lab all day w/ a ChemE degree.

job description:
ChemE:
http://alis.Alberta.ca/occinfo/Cont...GetHTMLProfile&format=html&occPro_ID=71001585

MechE:
http://alis.Alberta.ca/occinfo/Cont...file&format=html&occPro_ID=71002609&SNT_ID=25

P.S. ChemE programs have just a little bit more chemistry courses than most other engineering programs. My program only requires general chem 1&2 and Organic Chemistry. The other engineering programs require only general chem 1&2. ChemE is all about industrial scale production of 'chemicals'. Think refineries.

thanks for the links and advice it was really helpful! I'm still having trouble deciding though =/

Don't worry about it. No one really knows what they want to do with their lives. Most of us take a chance and run with a plan. Some of us never do much of anything. And one of us had sex with my mother -- that bastard!

OR WAS HE!?

I can understand your dilemma between choosing Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering as your major. Both fields offer exciting opportunities for hands-on work and problem-solving. However, it is important to have a clear understanding of the responsibilities and job prospects for each major to make an informed decision.

Chemical Engineering involves the application of chemistry, physics, and math to design, develop, and operate processes that convert raw materials into useful products. This can include designing and optimizing chemical reactions, developing processes for manufacturing drugs or food products, or improving energy efficiency in industrial processes. While there is some lab work involved, chemical engineers also have opportunities to work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and energy, where they can apply their knowledge to real-world problems and develop innovative solutions.

On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and aircraft. This can involve designing and testing prototypes, conducting simulations, and using advanced technologies to improve the performance and functionality of mechanical systems. Mechanical engineers also have the opportunity to work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

Both majors offer hands-on work and opportunities to build and fix things with your hands. However, chemical engineering may have a stronger emphasis on chemistry, while mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering may involve more physics and mechanics. It is important to consider which of these subjects you are most interested in and which aligns better with your career goals.

Additionally, it is important to note that while both majors offer exciting career prospects, they may have different job opportunities and salary ranges. It is recommended to research the job market and potential career paths for each major to help guide your decision.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would advise you to carefully consider your interests, career goals, and job prospects before making a decision between Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering. Both majors offer unique opportunities for hands-on work and problem-solving, and with a clear understanding of their responsibilities and job prospects, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your interests and aspirations.

1. What is the difference between Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Chemical engineering focuses on designing, developing, and optimizing processes that involve the use of chemicals, while mechanical engineering deals with the design, production, and operation of machinery and mechanical systems.

2. Why should someone consider pursuing a double major in Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

Pursuing a double major in Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering allows individuals to gain knowledge and skills in two complementary fields, making them more versatile and attractive to potential employers. It also provides a wider range of career opportunities.

3. Is it possible to complete a double major in Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering within four years?

It is possible to complete a double major in four years, but it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. Students should consult with their academic advisors to ensure they are on track to graduate on time.

4. What types of courses can I expect to take in a Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering double major?

Some common courses in a Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering double major might include thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, materials science, process design, and control systems. The specific courses may vary depending on the university and program.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a double major in Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

With a double major in Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering, individuals can pursue careers in industries such as manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, energy, aerospace, and more. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or pursue graduate studies in either field.