Should I switch out of Chemical Engineering to other major?

In summary: You think you would be happier in a different major, which focuses on physics. You think that if you went into a PhD program in chemical engineering, you would be better off. However, you can replace mass transfer with solid deformation mechanics in Mechanical Engineering.
oristo42
I am currently third year student doing Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Dual Degree and I am currently miserable. Like my many friends who became ChemE majors, I didn't know exactly what I was getting into. I imagined it is like chemistry except more complicated and advanced. I am doing quite alright academic-wise, but I hate what I am studying right now. It is my dream to work in R&D jobs in industry, but none of R&D in Chemical Engineering field interest me. Only saving grace of this major was Physical Chemistry, such as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics, which I obsessively love. I realize I sound naive, and to be honest, incredibly stupid, but I have been struggling with this problem for months now. I am thinking of transferring to Mechanical Engineering major instead, so I could delve more into physics and, hopefully, have R&D job in industry that I could love doing. Should I just deal with it or should I try to do other major, where I can at least be happy?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be easy to figure out what are the fields or research in chemical engineering at your current university. If you want to go into R&D then you need a PhD. The challenge is finding a subject that appeals to you, you have to opportunity to do a PhD in, and that has crossover potential in the industry.

Sounds like you should have done a regular chemistry degree. Because chem eng., is exactly the opposite of what you describe. It is chemistry simplified and applied to real-life problems ( that bring up non-scientific complications of their own, hence the scientific simplification.)
Also, the percentage of people that do a PhD coming from an engineering school is way lower than those that come from a natural science school. And the culture difference will reflect that.

In the end it doesn't matter how much you like the classes in your master. What matters is what PhD programs it prepares you for.

As a chemical engineer, I am having trouble understanding your discomfort. You say you love physical chemistry and thermodynamics, but yet these are the bases of chemical engineering, and so should represent a major part of what you are learning. Which part don't you like: transport phenomena (fluid mechanics, heat transfer, mass transfer), unit operations, or what? What makes you think that if transport phenomena is your dislike, you will be better off in Mechanical Engineering? Although Mechanical Engineering does much of the same in fluid mechanics and heat transfer as Chemical Engineering, it doesn't do much with mass transfer. But, you can replace mass transfer with solid deformation mechanics. Is this what you really want?

Chet

1. Should I switch out of Chemical Engineering if I am struggling with the coursework?

It depends on the reason for your struggle. If you are not interested in the subject matter or find it too challenging, it may be worth considering switching to a major that aligns better with your strengths and interests. However, if you are simply facing temporary difficulties, seeking academic assistance and support may be a better option than switching majors.

2. Is Chemical Engineering a good major for future job prospects?

Chemical engineering is a versatile and in-demand field, with opportunities in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and consumer goods. However, it is important to consider your own interests and skills when choosing a major, as job satisfaction and success often depend on personal fit.

3. How does the salary of a Chemical Engineering compare to other majors?

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the average starting salary for Chemical Engineering graduates in 2020 was $76,655, which is higher than the overall average of $55,260 for all majors. However, it is important to note that salary can vary based on factors such as location, industry, and individual experience.

4. Are there any alternative majors that have a similar curriculum to Chemical Engineering?

Some related majors that have a similar curriculum to Chemical Engineering include Biomedical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, and Environmental Engineering. These majors may have a focus on different applications, but they all involve a combination of chemistry, physics, and math.

5. Can I switch to Chemical Engineering from a different major?

It is possible to switch to Chemical Engineering from a different major, but it may require taking additional coursework and may prolong your time in college. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to understand the specific requirements and implications of switching majors.