Chemical Engineering, but want to do physics too

In summary, it is possible to pursue a physics degree after receiving a bachelor degree in chemical engineering, but it is not a guaranteed path to success. You may want to consider a different major if you are not confident in the job security of the field of physics.
Complexity
I am in a dilemma.

Next fall I will be attending a university (as a freshman), and will be majoring in chemical engineering.

Now my question is, I really LOVE physics, and how it relates to the real world. Is there anyway that I can pursue physics later in my career after I received a bachelor degree in chemical engineering?

Let's say that I go onto graduate studies...would there be any possible way that I can into some type of graduate physics study with a 4 year degree in chemical engineering?

Because I really want to be a physicist, but chemical engineering is calling my name (not really, just like to think that).

Should I change my major to physics? Because I was planning to major in chemical engineering and then minoring in physics...is that a good idea??

I'm so confused and need guidance! I want to do something that I LOVE to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always read and study physics as a hobby if you are interested primarily in chemical engineering. I ended up doing something similar to this... I majored in mechanical engineering but double majored in philosophy and did philosophy research on quantum mechanics with the physics department (I just found the philosophy angle more interesting).

It's definitely doable, and after getting some basics down, if you're really still into physics you'll be surprised how much you can teach yourself.

Of course, you could always change your major to physics too. I'm glad I stuck with engineering for the job prospects, but that doesn't mean I can't still read about physics and hang out on these forums etc :smile:. I had friends who double majored in engineering and physics too, but they are all doing engineering now.

kote said:
You can always read and study physics as a hobby if you are interested primarily in chemical engineering. I ended up doing something similar to this... I majored in mechanical engineering but double majored in philosophy and did philosophy research on quantum mechanics with the physics department (I just found the philosophy angle more interesting).

It's definitely doable, and after getting some basics down, if you're really still into physics you'll be surprised how much you can teach yourself.

Of course, you could always change your major to physics too. I'm glad I stuck with engineering for the job prospects, but that doesn't mean I can't still read about physics and hang out on these forums etc :smile:. I had friends who double majored in engineering and physics too, but they are all doing engineering now.

So it's possible for me to pursue a graduate study in physics even with a bachelor degree in chemical engineering?

I admire your passion for physics!

Complexity said:
So it's possible for me to pursue a graduate study in physics even with a bachelor degree in chemical engineering?

Well, if your goal is graduate study in physics, your best bet is a physics major. Why go through the trouble of studying chemical engineering if you don't plan on using it?

If I had that much passion for physics I would have majored in it :tongue2:.

Last edited:
kote said:
Well, if your goal is graduate study in physics, your best bet is a physics major. Why go through the trouble of studying chemical engineering if you don't plan on using it?

If I had that much passion for physics I would have majored in it :tongue2:.

Your right!

This is such a hard decision...AH!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a chemical engineer, but the works of physics just lure me in.

The only reason I am hesitating of becoming a physicist is that I'm worried about the job security, and about the future of the U.S. economy!

Chemical engineering seems to have a better job security than being a physicist, but that shouldn't be a reason that draws me away from physics!

:wink: Thanks for the advice!

Complexity said:
Chemical engineering seems to have a better job security than being a physicist, but that shouldn't be a reason that draws me away from physics!

Why shouldn't the job prospects be a consideration? I think it's important to be realistic about what you want to end up doing and what the options are. I can't tell you which to choose, but for starters you might want to check out:

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/fall09a.pdf
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos052.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
By all means, go for Chem Engg as a career option.

At college, you get to pick your electives.
Have a look at your course structure to find out how many courses outside of your core stream can you opt for.

All the best

1. What is the difference between chemical engineering and physics?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design and operation of large-scale chemical processes, while physics is a natural science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. Chemical engineering involves the application of physics principles to develop and optimize chemical processes, while physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.

2. Can I pursue a career in both chemical engineering and physics?

Yes, it is possible to have a career in both fields. Many chemical engineering graduates go on to work in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, while others pursue research in areas such as energy production and environmental sustainability. With a background in chemical engineering, you can also work in research and development in physics-related industries such as electronics, optics, and materials science.

3. How can I incorporate physics into my chemical engineering studies?

Chemical engineering and physics are closely related, and many courses in a chemical engineering curriculum cover fundamental physics principles. You can also choose to take elective courses or pursue research projects in areas that combine both fields, such as nanotechnology, materials science, or energy systems. Additionally, internships and co-op opportunities allow you to gain hands-on experience in both fields.

4. Will I need a separate degree in physics to work in that field?

It depends on your career goals and the specific job requirements. Some positions may require a graduate degree in physics, while others may only require a strong understanding of physics principles. If you are interested in pursuing a career in physics, it may be beneficial to have a minor or double major in physics or to take additional courses in the field.

5. Are there any notable figures who have combined both chemical engineering and physics?

Yes, there are several notable scientists who have made significant contributions to both fields. For example, Nobel laureate and chemist Marie Curie studied physics before branching into chemistry and discovering the elements polonium and radium. Other notable figures include Nobel laureate and chemical engineer Yuan T. Lee, who made important contributions to the field of chemical kinetics, and engineer and physicist Robert Langer, who has pioneered advancements in drug delivery and tissue engineering.