1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical engineering vs chemistry

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    I'm just graduated from university. Now, I want to take graduate studies. But, I'm still confuse to choose major in my master degree. My undergraduate studies is chemistry (natural science), but some person told me that I must take chemical engineering to support my future. I don't understand about their statement. So, I want to know :
    1. What is the main difference between chemical engineering and chemistry ? I think, some they almost have same similarities in research.
    2. Which has better future (has good job with better salary), chemistry or chemical engineering ?
    3. If you were me, what kind of major do you want to take ???
    Thanks you. Please, help me !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2
    I would say both chemistry and chemical engineering have good prospects... of course depending of your field of emphasis (you'll get into a bit of this in a master's program). I especially feel that organic synthesis in chemistry has really good employment with various industries (including of course the obvious pharmacuetical industry). Quantitative analysis / characterization also wouldn't be a bad choice for employability in chemistry.

I'm not sure how salaries differ... but that should be something you can look up online by looking at entry positions in both fields (this too would tell you something about employability).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook