Astro vs Chemistry for Physics Major

In summary, a prospective physics major is deciding between taking astro 101, Chemistry 1, or CS 1 as an elective for the next semester. They are interested in particle physics, condensed matter research, and possibly entering tech. They are also considering getting a minor in CS for better job opportunities. However, taking a 100-level class in any of these subjects may not be beneficial for graduate school or future career options. The best option would be to read the syllabus or course description for each and choose the one that interests them the most.
numbersloth
Hi all. I'm a prospective physics major, hoping to either go into particle physics or condensed matter research or enter tech if research doesn't turn out to be for me. I was wondering which elective I should choose for next semester--astro 101 or Chemistry 1 or CS 1? Will chemistry help me with getting research opportunities? If I decide I like astrophysics, how much does taking astro really matter for graduate school? Should I get a minor in CS so I am more employable?

I'm also possibly interested in material science so... (this is really random)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, taking a 100-level class in any of the both won't matter at all for graduate school or anything. If they are electives, their only purpose is for you to take them to see if you might possibly be interested in the topic. Read the syllabus or course description for each one, and sign up for the one that you find most interesting.

1. What is the difference between studying Astro and Chemistry for a Physics Major?

Astro and Chemistry are both fields of study within the broad scope of physics. However, Astro focuses specifically on the study of celestial objects and the interactions between them, while Chemistry focuses on the study of matter and its properties. As a physics major, you may choose to specialize in either Astro or Chemistry, depending on your interests and career goals.

2. Which one is more relevant for a career in physics?

Both Astro and Chemistry have applications in various fields of physics, so it ultimately depends on your specific career goals. If you are interested in the study of space and celestial objects, Astro may be more relevant. If you are interested in the properties and behavior of matter, Chemistry may be more relevant. It is also possible to combine both fields and have a more diverse skill set for your career in physics.

3. Which one is more math-intensive?

Both Astro and Chemistry require a strong understanding of mathematics, as it is a fundamental tool in physics. However, Astro may involve more complex mathematical calculations, as it deals with larger and more distant objects. Chemistry may involve more mathematical concepts and equations related to the behavior and interactions of matter.

4. Can I study both Astro and Chemistry as a physics major?

Yes, it is possible to study both Astro and Chemistry as a physics major. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs or allow students to choose a concentration in both fields. However, keep in mind that this may require a heavier course load and may take longer to complete your degree.

5. Which one is more research-based?

Both Astro and Chemistry involve research, as they are both fields of science. However, the type of research may differ. Astro research may involve data collection and analysis from telescopes and other instruments, while Chemistry research may involve experiments in a laboratory setting. Both fields offer opportunities for hands-on research experiences for students pursuing a career in physics.