1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical potential using Boltzmann equation

1. Jun 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must calculate chemical potential using the Boltzmann equation in relaxation time approximation $$f=f^0-\tau v_z^2 \partial f^0/\partial z,$$ where ##f^0## is given as
    $$f^0 = 2(\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar})^3 \frac{1}{\exp{\beta(z)(\frac{mv^2}{2}-\mu(z))}+1}$$
    I have to consider only heat current without electrical current. In this case, I can make use of ##<v_z>=0##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##0=<v_z>=\int d^3 v (v_z f^0 - \tau v_z^2 \partial f^0/\partial z)##. I can also use the limit ##\mu \beta \gg 1## and ##I_n=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dx x^n \frac{e^x}{(e^x+1)^2}## with ##I_0=1, ~I_1=0, ~I_2=\pi^2 / 3##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because I have velocity only in ##z## direction, I can calculate the first integral
    $$c_0 \int dv_z v_z \frac{1}{\exp{\beta (mv_z^2 / 2 - \mu)}+1} = c_0 \frac{\beta m v_z^2/2 - \ln(\exp{\beta m v_z^2 /2}+\exp{\beta \mu})}{\beta m}$$ Now I can make use of ##\beta \mu \gg 1## and I get $$c_0 (v_z^2/2-\mu/m)$$ with ##c_0 = 2(\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar})^3##

To calculate the second integral I need to calculate the derivative first.
    $$\partial f^0/ \partial z = - e^x /(e^x+1)^2 dx(v, z)/dz$$ with ##x=\beta (m v^2 / 2 - \mu)##
    $$\Rightarrow \partial f^0/ \partial z = - e^x /(e^x+1)^2 [\mu d\beta / dz - m v^2/2 \cdot d\beta / dz - \beta d\mu /dz]$$

Now I must somehow get the form of the integrals ##I_n##. But I do not see a way I can do it. Have I missed some step or is my attempt at a solution completely wrong?.

Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2017 #2
    I have the following suggestions:
    1. For the integral$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty v_z f^0 dv_z$$make the substitution$$x=\beta \left ( \frac{m v_z^2}{2} - \mu \right ),$$express##f^0## as$$f^0 =\frac{e^{-x}}{1 + e^{-x}},$$and observe that the integral has even symmetry about ##v_z = 0##.
    2. For the integral$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \tau v_z^2 \frac{\partial f^0}{\partial z} dv_z$$make the same substitution for x and write$$\frac{\partial f^0}{\partial z}=\frac{\partial f^0}{\partial v_z} \frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}$$ and observe that ##\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}\approx \frac{1
    }{\tau}##.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted