1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Chemistry] questions on solubilty of bases and naphthalen-2-ol

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2-hydroxybenzenediazonium ion is allowed to react with naphthalen-2-ol to form 1-(4-hydroxyphenylazo)-2-naphthol

2. Relevant equations
    1.Why is amine having a different solubility in water and dilute hydrochloric acid?

2.Why is naphthalen-2-ol dissolves in sodium hydroxide instead of water or acidic aqueous solvent?

3.Does naphthalen-2-ol react with aliphatics amines and how to use it to distinguish between aliphatics and aromatic amines?

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.I guess it is because when it dissolve in dilute hydrochloric acid, the H+ ions react with the OH- ions from the amine, so the equilibrium shift towards the right, and therefore amine dissolves better in dilute hydrochloric acid?

2.Is it related to basify...but I even don't know what is basify. Or it is because naphthalen-2-ol is too bulky to dissolve in water?

3.My guess is no. But I also don't know why.....

Really thanks a lot for you guys help
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. What happens to an amine in acidic solution? It has nothing to do with the alcohol (-OH) functionality...

2. Think of naphthalene-2-ol as an enol. What would a base do in that case?

3. To answer this question you need to understand the mechanism of the reaction. Remember that the diazonium salt is added slowly to a solution that contains an excess of NaOH, so the reaction occurs under basic conditions. Diazonium ion is an electrophile in this reaction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?