Chemistry - Reactions - Gas given off and solid remaining after heating

In summary, when heated, strontium carbonate, zinc carbonate, and iron carbonate would all give off carbon dioxide gas and form solid oxides. To find the oxides, simply remove CO2 from the empirical formula.
jahrollins

Homework Statement

If the following substances were heated what gas would be given off and what solid would remain? strontium carbonate, zinc carbonate, and iron carbonate.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So I presume carbon dioxide would be given off and the 3 substances would become oxides. I'm don't get what would form a solid though?

Physics news on Phys.org
The oxides would form the solid. To find the oxides, just remove CO2 from the empirical formula.

So all the oxides would be solids? I thought it might be that... but the way the question was presented made me think it would just be one.

1. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are transformed into different substances with different chemical and physical properties. This is often accompanied by the release or absorption of energy.

2. How can gas be given off during a chemical reaction?

Gas can be given off during a chemical reaction due to the formation of new gas molecules as a product of the reaction. This can occur when two or more substances combine to form a gas, or when a chemical reaction causes a solid or liquid to release gas in the form of bubbles.

3. What is the significance of a solid remaining after heating in a chemical reaction?

The presence of a solid remaining after heating can indicate that a chemical reaction has occurred. This solid may be a product of the reaction, formed through the combination of two or more substances, or it may be a reactant that did not fully participate in the reaction.

4. How does heating affect a chemical reaction?

Heating can affect a chemical reaction in several ways. It can increase the rate of the reaction by providing energy for the reactant molecules to collide and react. It can also increase the temperature of the reaction, which can change the equilibrium of the reaction and alter the amounts of products and reactants present.

5. Can a chemical reaction produce both gas and a solid?

Yes, a chemical reaction can produce both gas and a solid. This can occur when a substance is heated and undergoes a decomposition reaction, releasing gas as a product and leaving behind a solid residue. It can also occur when two substances react to form a gas and a solid product, such as in a combustion reaction.