Chemistry: would someone verify my work, please?

In summary, A three-ton load of coal will produce an amount of nitrogen gas equal to 0.734% of the weight of the coal.
bjoyful

Homework Statement

Assume that coal can be represented by the formula C135H96O9NS. A. What is the percent of nitrogen by mass in this coal? B. If three tons of coal were burned completely, what mass of nitrogen in NO would be produced? (Assume that all of the nitrogen in the coal is converted to NO in the burning process.) Be sure to show all your calculation work in each case.

The Attempt at a Solution

A.135x12.01=1621.35 (carbon) + 96x1.008=96.76 (hydrogen) + 9x16.00=144 (oxygen) + 1x14.01=14.01 (nitrogen) + 1x32.07=32.07 (sulfur) = 1908.19. 14.01x100/1908.19= 0.734%.

B.First, to find the moles of coal in 6000lbs of coal, I converted the pounds to grams and divided it by the mole weight (6000 x 453.6 / 1908.19 = 1426.27). Since one mole of coal provides one mole of NO, there are 1426 moles of coal and 1426 moles of Nitrogen. NO has a molar mass of 30g/mol, so 30g/mol x 1426 moles = 42.8kg of NO. Therefore, the mass of nitrogen in NO that would be produced when three tons of coal is burned completely is 42kg. (Am I including both nitrogen and oxygen in this figure? I'm only suppose to be looking for nitrogen??)

I want to make sure I have done this right. If not, please point me in the right direction:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you've got 42.8 kg of NO. They want to know how much of this is nitrogen.

Is 42.8kg the correct number of NO? Is there a formula to use to find how much of this is N?

I've checked your work and it seems that that is the correct answer.

Think about 1 mol of NO. What percent of this (in terms of mass) is nitrogen?

The question asks you for the mass of NO, not N. Relax, you have it. You might want to express it in either tons or pounds for completeness.

1. What is the purpose of verifying scientific work in chemistry?

The purpose of verifying scientific work in chemistry is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the results. This involves independent replication of the experiments and analysis of the data to confirm that the conclusions drawn are supported by evidence.

2. How is scientific work in chemistry verified?

Scientific work in chemistry is verified through a process called peer review, where other experts in the field critically evaluate the research methodology, data, and conclusions of the study. This helps to eliminate bias and errors, and ensures that the research meets the standards of the scientific community.

3. Why is it important to have independent verification in chemistry?

Independent verification in chemistry is important because it helps to validate the results and conclusions of a study. It also promotes transparency and accountability in the scientific community, and allows for further advancement and building upon existing research.

4. Who is responsible for verifying scientific work in chemistry?

The responsibility for verifying scientific work in chemistry falls on the scientific community as a whole. This includes researchers, peer reviewers, and journal editors, who all play a crucial role in ensuring the integrity of scientific work.

5. Are there any limitations to verifying scientific work in chemistry?

While verifying scientific work in chemistry is an important process, it is not without limitations. Some limitations include the time and resources required for replication, the potential for human error, and the possibility of biased interpretation of results. However, these limitations can be minimized through rigorous and transparent verification processes.