Chi square Dominant phenotype problem

In summary: If we assume a population of 1000, then it's expected that 750 will be Purple and 250 will be White.In summary, the ChiSquare value for the dominant phenotype of the cross Purple versus White is 0.391, with an expected 3/4 of the population being Purple and 1/4 being White. The P-value for this cross is 0.108, indicating that there is a 10.8% chance that the observed results are due to chance alone.
sonyab523
What is the ChiSquare value for the dominant phentotype of the cross Purple versus White. Shouldn't the answer be 696 or 696.75??
Parental Phenotypes

Purple X WhiteF1 Phenotype

All PurpleF2 Phenotype

705 purple, 224 whiteI must be missing something:

Observed Purple=705

Observed White= 224

Total 929

Expected for Purple 705/929=.75

.75x929= 696.75 Purple Expected

Expected White 224/929=.24

.24 x 929= 222.96 White Expected
Second part of the question is

What is the Chi Square Sum (rounding to 3 significant figures) for Purple versus White cross. The answer is 0.391

But when I try to get this answer I use the formula (O-E)^2/E and get .09768 for Purple and .0048 for White which equals .1085
Third part of the question:

Using the following web site: (http://www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs/PValue1.cfm)
What is the P-value (rounding to 3 significant figures) for Purple versus White cross.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello sonyab523,

Welcome to Physics Forum!

Btw, next time you might wish to put this sort of question in the
Physics Forums > Science Education > Homework & Coursework Questions > Other Sciences
category. 'Mostly just introductory physics here.

But anyway, I think I can help (I'm not an expert in genetics, but I'm not completely unfamiliar with it either):

sonyab523 said:
Observed Purple=705

Observed White= 224

Total 929

Expected for Purple 705/929=.75

.75x929= 696.75 Purple Expected

Expected White 224/929=.24

.24 x 929= 222.96 White Expected

Okay, here is where I believe you went wrong. The Expected White is 0.25 x 929 = 232.25.

In other words, 3/4 of this population is expected to be Purple, 1/4 White.

That makes the (O - E) for White -8.25.

Second part of the question is

What is the Chi Square Sum (rounding to 3 significant figures) for Purple versus White cross. The answer is 0.391

But when I try to get this answer I use the formula (O-E)^2/E and get .09768 for Purple and .0048 for White which equals .1085

Your Purple calculation is the same as mine. After you make the above correction for White (and recalculate), I think you should be good to move forward.

collinsmark said:
Hello sonyab523,

Welcome to Physics Forum!

Btw, next time you might wish to put this sort of question in the
Physics Forums > Science Education > Homework & Coursework Questions > Other Sciences
category. 'Mostly just introductory physics here.

But anyway, I think I can help (I'm not an expert in genetics, but I'm not completely unfamiliar with it either):

Okay, here is where I believe you went wrong. The Expected White is 0.25 x 929 = 232.25.

In other words, 3/4 of this population is expected to be Purple, 1/4 White.

That makes the (O - E) for White -8.25.

Your Purple calculation is the same as mine. After you make the above correction for White (and recalculate), I think you should be good to move forward.

I see I forgot to round. I have another question on a similar problem but I'll post start another thread in the right forum. Thank you.

sonyab523 said:
I see I forgot to round. I have another question on a similar problem but I'll post start another thread in the right forum. Thank you.

I was sort of under the impression that it's not a matter of rounding. What I assumed was that Purple and White represent a monohybrid cross between two heterozygotes. This is based more on theory, rather than on the measured statistics of the particular problem. I was assuming that the problem assumes one dominant phenotype (F1 phenotype), and one recessive (F2 phenotype). If my assumption was correct, it seems obvious here that Purple would be the dominant trait, call it "P", and White is the recessive trait, call it "w". Then there are only 4 possible combinations:

PP
Pw
wP
ww

But since Purple is dominant trait, any combination with a P in it will show the characteristics of purple. So PP, Pw, and wP all produce Purple characteristic -- that's an expected 3/4 of the population. Only the ww combination produces a White characteristic. 1/4 of the population.

[Edit] Or maybe to put it better, 3/4 and 1/4 of the total number of possible combinations.

Last edited:

1. What is a Chi square dominant phenotype problem?

A Chi square dominant phenotype problem is a statistical test used to determine whether there is a significant difference between observed and expected values in a population for a dominant phenotype.

2. How is a Chi square test used to solve a dominant phenotype problem?

The Chi square test calculates a p-value based on the observed and expected values, which is then compared to a predetermined significance level. If the p-value is less than the significance level, it is considered statistically significant and supports the hypothesis that there is a difference between the observed and expected values for the dominant phenotype.

3. What is the significance level in a Chi square test for a dominant phenotype problem?

The significance level, also known as alpha, is the predetermined threshold used to determine whether the results of a Chi square test are statistically significant. The most common significance level used is 0.05, meaning that there is a 5% chance that the results are due to chance rather than a true difference between the observed and expected values.

4. What is the expected value in a Chi square test for a dominant phenotype problem?

The expected value in a Chi square test for a dominant phenotype problem is the number of individuals in a population that would be expected to have the dominant phenotype based on the predicted ratio. This can be calculated using the Punnett square for the specific dominant phenotype.

5. What are the assumptions of a Chi square test for a dominant phenotype problem?

The assumptions of a Chi square test for a dominant phenotype problem include having a large enough sample size (typically at least 20 individuals), independent observations, and expected values greater than 5 for each category. Additionally, the data should be categorical and the variables should be mutually exclusive.