Chi squared with confidence interval

In summary, the problem involves finding the chi squared function for life data with 10 data points, a confidence level of 90%, and 1 degree of freedom. The alpha and beta parameters are given and are used to calculate the expected cell counts. The observed cell counts are 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. The 90% confidence bounds correspond to an alpha level of 0.1. The chi squared statistic can be calculated using the Weibull distribution formula.
mbykowski
I am trying to calculate the chi squared function for life data and a confidence level of 95%. I have 10 data points, a specified confidence level (95%), and 1 degree of freedom. I also have the alpha and beta parameters. Based on this information how can i calculate the chi squared statistic? I have looked and looked online but can't seem to find anywhere how to perform the calculation incorporating the confidence level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\chi^2 = \sum \frac{(O-E)^2}{E}[/tex], O = observed cell counts, E = expected cell counts; with the rejection region as [tex]\chi^2 \geq \chi_{\alph, k-1}^2 [/tex]. [tex]\alpha [/tex] is your alpha level i.e. (confidence interval = 100(1-alpha)%), k-1 is your df.

Could you post the problem in its entirety?

hello, thank you for the reply, here is the problem in its entirety:

there are 5 data points, which represent times to failure, these are 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. The charcteristic life, or alpha is 33.9428 and the shape parameter, or beta is 2.2938. I am trying to find the 90% confidence bounds, and in order to do so, the chi squared parameter needs to be defined X^2(0.9;1). This is an example problem and the answer for the chi squared parameter is given as 2.705543. I don't know how to arrive at this answer. I am using this example problem to apply the calculations to my set of data, and cannot find anywhere how exactly the chi squared parameter is calculated considering the parameters that I am working with, characteristic life, shape parameter, and confidence level.

Have you learned the Weibull distribution? (I do not know the general formula, so you can search for it online) The characteristic life, or scale parameter, and the shape parameter would make up the expected cells "E" in the chi-squared statistics value. The data points 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 are the observed values "O". Your 90% confidence bounds simply tells you what your "alpha" in the chi-squared statistic to be .1. From here, you should be able to compute your chi-square statistical value. Hope that helps.

1. What is the purpose of using chi-squared with confidence interval in scientific research?

Chi-squared with confidence interval is a statistical method used to determine the significance of the relationship between two categorical variables. It helps researchers to identify if there is a significant difference or association between the two variables being studied.

2. How is chi-squared with confidence interval calculated?

The chi-squared value is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between the observed and expected frequencies of the data, divided by the expected frequencies. The resulting value is then compared to a critical value from a chi-squared distribution, which determines the level of significance.

3. What does the confidence interval represent in chi-squared analysis?

The confidence interval in chi-squared analysis represents the range of values within which the true population value is likely to fall. It is typically expressed as a percentage, such as 95% or 99%, and is used to estimate the precision and reliability of the results.

4. What is the difference between chi-squared with confidence interval and p-value?

Chi-squared with confidence interval and p-value are both used in statistical hypothesis testing, but they serve different purposes. The p-value indicates the probability of obtaining the observed results by chance, while the confidence interval provides a range of values within which the true population value is likely to fall.

5. What are the limitations of using chi-squared with confidence interval?

One limitation of using chi-squared with confidence interval is that it only measures the strength of association between two variables, but it does not determine causation. Additionally, it assumes that the data follows a specific distribution and can only be used for categorical data. It is also important to note that a significant chi-squared result does not necessarily mean a strong or meaningful relationship between the variables.