1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions related to sufficient statistics and confidence interval

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose X1, X2, ..., Xn constitute a random sample from a population following N(μ,θ) where μ is known.

(a)Find a sufficient statistic for θ.
    (b)Use the maximum likelihood estimator of θ to construct a confidence interval for θ with confidence level 1-α.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (a), I have tried to use the factorization criterion to find the sufficient statistic for θ but I have difficulty in separating θ from the exponential function as θ is the denominator. Can someone teach me how to get a function that depends on Xi only!

For part (b), the maximum likelihood estimator of θ is (1/n)*Σ(Xi-μ)^2. I am not sure about whether the information that Σ(Xi-μ)^2/θ follows chi square distribution with n degrees of freedom can help us to find the confidence interval! Can someone teach me how to get the confidence interval as well?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use a chi-squared table to find points ##a## and ##b## such that
    [tex] P(\chi^2(n) \leq a) = \frac{\alpha}{2}, \; P(\chi^2(n) \geq b) = \frac{\alpha}{2}[/tex]
    Thus
    [tex] P\left( a \leq \frac{\sum(X_i - \mu)^2}{\theta} \leq b \right) = 1 - \alpha.[/tex]
    Now turn that into a ##1-\alpha## probability statement about ##\theta##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted