Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chlorfoam - hazard as a cleaner

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Chlorfoam is a very powerful single stage detergent disinfectant, it is formulated to produce a stable clinging foam giving long contact times

Specific gravity 1.14
    pH 1% solution 12.3
    Active Alkalinity 5% w/w as Na2O
    Active Biocide 3% Av. Cl (1% v/v solution gives 350 ppm Av. Cl

This is copied from the fact sheet, can any one tell me if this is a dangerous cleaner
    would it react with fruit acid?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Dangerous' is a relative term. The pH indicates that it is caustic. pH 12.3 can be dangerous unless ppe is employed. The available chlorine (expressed as ppm Cl2) is high and will certainly react with fruit acids which are generally both acidic and antioxidant in nature. The basic nature of this detergent will certainly react with any acids, including fruit acids in an acid/base fashion. The deprotonated acids are susceptible to oxidation, which this cleaner has as well. The fruit acids I am thinking about are ascorbic, malic, tartaric, and maleic. Other compounds generally found in fruit acid formulations are also considered antioxidants. Consider, for example, resveratrol, which as three acidic phenolic protons. This detergent would wreck this structure.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  4. Dec 9, 2007 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Thank you, chemisttree, i know nothing about chemistry, but i do read labels on containers,
    when i noticed that the people using this product were no way measuring the dilution i asked the question, it seems that none of them were aware of the dangers apart from being told to use a face mask.
    I also worried that putting this cleaner on fruit may give off harmful gas.

5. Dec 9, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope this isn't related to your other 'gas' post (human methane)! It shouldn't give off any gas other than the chlorine. This detergent should be used with adequate ventilation as well. At 1% it is pH 12.3... that's pretty caustic. Standard chlorine bleach is something like 5% to 6% available Cl so this is roughly as active as standard bleach diluted 1:1... pretty strong as I see it. I would definitely wear gloves if I were handling this routinely. If it were to come in contact with enough concentrated acid in its undiluted form, you might clear the room. Otherwise the acid/base reactivity should be benign.

6. Dec 9, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks chem, we have had one accident all ready with mixing caustic and acid, untrained staff, so i keep my eyes open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?