Choice between three elective courses

In summary, one person received a notification that their university had cancelled a planned course on Numerical Methods and was now offering three elective courses instead. They were seeking advice from others about which course to choose. The options were Computational Fluid Dynamics, Multivariat Statistics, and Multivariat Data-analysis and Chemometrics. The person mentioned their background in engineering and physics, with a particular interest in nanotechnology research and a desire to use programming and mathematics in their future studies.
Runei
Hello everyone,

I just received a mail from my university that the planned course "Numerical Methods" has been canceled due to lack of teaching resources. Instead we are offered one of three electice courses and I am not sure what to choose.

Perhaps the combined knowledge and experience of PF will enlighten me :)

The possibilities are (all are 5 ECTS points for those of you who know what that means):
  • Computational Fluid Dynamics
    • General terms, Navier-Stokes derivation, Boundary of turbulent and laminar flows, Numerical methods and choice of discretization-schemes, general turbulens models, CFD simulation, theory behind fluid kinematics
  • Multivariat Statistics
    • -- http://www.sdu.dk/om_sdu/fakulteterne/teknik/ledelse_administration/administration/studieordninger_a/datatek_civkand/moduler_e15 --
  • Multivariat Data-anaylsis and Chemometrics
Thanks for any tips you can give :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm always a bit biased towards computational fluid dynamics, one of the most fun courses I've ever taken. However, it really depends what you plan to do in the future. Graduate studies? If so, in what? Industry? Programming? Experimental wrk?

Likes Runei
Dishsoap said:
I'm always a bit biased towards computational fluid dynamics, one of the most fun courses I've ever taken. However, it really depends what you plan to do in the future. Graduate studies? If so, in what? Industry? Programming? Experimental wrk?

Ah yes, I forgot to tell a bit about myself :) Well I have a bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering and right now I'm doing Master of Engineering in Physics and Nanotechnology. I've had contact with spectroscopy, optics, nanophysics and sensor technology in particular.

Right now I imagine myself heading toward some sort of work with nanotechnology research in one form or the other. I was imagining taking an elective in Biophysics later... I enjoy programming a lot, and I'm currently working at a company as an engineer where I do electronics development and software programming (in a completely other field however), but I'd love to use programming and mathematics in research studies in the future.

1. What is the process for choosing an elective course?

The process for choosing an elective course may vary depending on your school or program. Generally, you will be given a list of available elective courses and a deadline for making your selection. You may also need to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options and ensure that your chosen courses align with your academic goals.

2. How do I know which elective course is right for me?

Choosing the right elective course can be a daunting task. It's important to consider your interests, career goals, and any prerequisite courses you may need to take. You can also research the course descriptions and talk to students who have taken the course before to get a better idea of what to expect.

3. Can I change my elective course after I have chosen it?

It may be possible to change your elective course after you have chosen it, but this will depend on your school's policies. Some schools may allow changes within a certain timeframe, while others may not allow any changes at all. It's best to check with your academic advisor or the course coordinator to find out the specific rules for changing electives.

4. Will taking a certain elective course affect my GPA?

Yes, your elective courses will typically count towards your overall GPA. However, some schools may have different grading systems for elective courses or may allow you to take them on a pass/fail basis. It's important to understand how the course will impact your GPA before making your decision.

5. Can I take more than one elective course at a time?

Again, this will depend on your school's policies and your own academic workload. Some schools may allow you to take multiple elective courses at once, while others may have restrictions on the number of electives you can take. It's important to consider your other courses and commitments before deciding to take on multiple electives at once.