1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choice between three elective courses

1. Aug 20, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I just received a mail from my university that the planned course "Numerical Methods" has been cancelled due to lack of teaching resources. Instead we are offered one of three electice courses and I am not sure what to choose.

Perhaps the combined knowledge and experience of PF will enlighten me :)

The possibilities are (all are 5 ECTS points for those of you who know what that means):
    • Computational Fluid Dynamics
      • General terms, Navier-Stokes derivation, Boundary of turbulent and laminar flows, Numerical methods and choice of discretization-schemes, general turbulens models, CFD simulation, theory behind fluid kinematics
    • Multivariat Statistics
    • Multivariat Data-anaylsis and Chemometrics
    Thanks for any tips you can give :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2015 #2
    I'm always a bit biased towards computational fluid dynamics, one of the most fun courses I've ever taken. However, it really depends what you plan to do in the future. Graduate studies? If so, in what? Industry? Programming? Experimental wrk?

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    Ah yes, I forgot to tell a bit about myself :) Well I have a bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering and right now I'm doing Master of Engineering in Physics and Nanotechnology. I've had contact with spectroscopy, optics, nanophysics and sensor technology in particular.

Right now I imagine myself heading toward some sort of work with nanotechnology research in one form or the other. I was imagining taking an elective in Biophysics later... I enjoy programming a lot, and I'm currently working at a company as an engineer where I do electronics development and software programming (in a completely other field however), but I'd love to use programming and mathematics in research studies in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook