Cholesky decomp vs A = L'DL decomp.

• Thread starter WCMU101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an algorithm for finding the Cholesky decomposition of a symmetric, positive-definite matrix. The question is raised about solving for A = LTDL instead of A = LDLT, and it is noted that the two decompositions are related. However, it is mentioned that there is no obvious connection between the two sets of L and D matrices.
WCMU101
Hey all. I've written an algorithm to find the Cholesky decomposition of a symmetric, positive-definite matrix (A). I've used the algorithm from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesky_decomposition#Avoiding_taking_square_roots

Ok here is my question. My current algorithm solves for A = LDLT, however I would also like to solve for A = LTDL. I've seen the results of both decompositions and it looks like they are related. From what I've seen it looks like the L returned from L'DL is just L from cholesky inverted about the positively sloped diagonal. And same for the D. So for example:

A =

4 2 2
2 4 2
2 2 4

A = LDL'

L =
1 0 0
0.5 1 0
0.5 0.333333 1

D =
4 0 0
0 3 0
0 0 2.66667

A = L'DL

L =

1.0000 0 0
0.3333 1.0000 0
0.5000 0.5000 1.0000

D =
2.6667 0 0
0 3.0000 0
0 0 4.0000

So my question. How can I relate the L from LDL' decomp with the L from L'DL decomp (mathematically).

Thanks,

Nick.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your example matrix is a special case because it also "symmetrical top to bottom" and "left to right".

For a general symmmetric matrix, you can get the L^T D L decomoposition by running the L D L^T "backwards" starting from the bottom right corner and working to the top left, but the result will not be as you described it. There is no obvious connection between the two sets of L and D matrices.

As a simple example, take the matrix

1 1
1 2

Thanks for that! Exactly what I needed to know.

Nick.

1. What is the difference between Cholesky decomposition and A = L'DL decomposition?

Both Cholesky decomposition and A = L'DL decomposition are methods used to decompose a symmetric positive definite matrix A into a lower triangular matrix L and a diagonal matrix D. The main difference between these two methods is that Cholesky decomposition is used for symmetric matrices, while A = L'DL decomposition can be used for any square matrix.

2. Which method is more computationally efficient?

In general, Cholesky decomposition is considered to be more computationally efficient than A = L'DL decomposition. This is because Cholesky decomposition only requires the computation of square roots, while A = L'DL decomposition involves more complex operations such as matrix multiplications and factorizations.

3. How is Cholesky decomposition related to LU decomposition?

Cholesky decomposition is a special case of LU decomposition, where the lower triangular matrix L is equal to the transpose of the upper triangular matrix U. This means that the two methods are essentially equivalent, but Cholesky decomposition is more efficient for symmetric positive definite matrices.

4. What are the advantages of using A = L'DL decomposition?

One advantage of A = L'DL decomposition is that it can be used for any square matrix, whereas Cholesky decomposition is limited to symmetric matrices. A = L'DL decomposition can also be useful for solving certain types of linear systems, such as those with a tridiagonal matrix.

5. Can A = L'DL decomposition be used for matrices with complex numbers?

Yes, A = L'DL decomposition can be used for matrices with complex numbers. However, the diagonal matrix D may contain complex numbers, which may require additional considerations in the computation process.