• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Choosing a good college for B.S physics.

PrincePhoenix
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, everyone.

What makes an institution better than another for a physics B.S? Faculty, labs or what?

Answers and Replies

One big thing you could look for is what opportunities there are for undergraduate research at particular schools. Quality of labs can be important, how updated/accessible equipment is. As for faculty, are they involved in research that interests you? Do they regularly publish research in reputable journals? Class sizes can be important as well, and how accessible the professors are.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
What are your plans for after undergrad? Industry? PhD? Knowing that can provide for more relevant answers.

PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
One big thing you could look for is what opportunities there are for undergraduate research at particular schools. Quality of labs can be important, how updated/accessible equipment is. As for faculty, are they involved in research that interests you? Do they regularly publish research in reputable journals? Class sizes can be important as well, and how accessible the professors are.
Thank you. :smile:

What are your plans for after undergrad? Industry? PhD? Knowing that can provide for more relevant answers.
Ph.D.

wukunlin
Gold Member
I would say funding

I will never forget my time tinkering with 50 year old ammeters and trying to read off oscilloscopes without cursors.

PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
One big thing you could look for is what opportunities there are for undergraduate research at particular schools.......
Since I'm currently in 2nd year of F.Sc (equivalent to Senior year in high school) I don't understand what sort of research is done at the undergraduate level. I mean what should I be looking for in this respect.

Since I'm currently in 2nd year of F.Sc (equivalent to Senior year in high school) I don't understand what sort of research is done at the undergraduate level. I mean what should I be looking for in this respect.
What I mean is: do professors hire undergraduates to do research with them? The research could be be in anything. You might help with programming, setting up experiments, and even contributing to writing papers. How involved you are able to get depends on the department.

PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
Thanks again. :smile: