1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a good college for B.S physics.

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Hello, everyone.

What makes an institution better than another for a physics B.S? Faculty, labs or what?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2
    One big thing you could look for is what opportunities there are for undergraduate research at particular schools. Quality of labs can be important, how updated/accessible equipment is. As for faculty, are they involved in research that interests you? Do they regularly publish research in reputable journals? Class sizes can be important as well, and how accessible the professors are.

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What are your plans for after undergrad? Industry? PhD? Knowing that can provide for more relevant answers.

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Thank you. :smile:

Ph.D.

6. Sep 24, 2011 #5

wukunlin

Gold Member

I would say funding

I will never forget my time tinkering with 50 year old ammeters and trying to read off oscilloscopes without cursors.

7. Sep 24, 2011 #6

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Since I'm currently in 2nd year of F.Sc (equivalent to Senior year in high school) I don't understand what sort of research is done at the undergraduate level. I mean what should I be looking for in this respect.

8. Sep 24, 2011 #7
    What I mean is: do professors hire undergraduates to do research with them? The research could be be in anything. You might help with programming, setting up experiments, and even contributing to writing papers. How involved you are able to get depends on the department.

9. Sep 24, 2011 #8

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Thanks again. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook