Choosing an Area of Physics to Study

In summary: A few actually did show us some of their research during lab sessions (like fluids experiments).In summary, the conversation discusses questions for individuals who have enrolled in or completed graduate school. The first question asks when during their college career they knew what area of Physics they wanted to focus on. The second question asks if they did any research in that area before graduate school. The third question asks how much they knew about that area of Physics prior to graduate school. The fourth question asks if their decision was based on the area of Physics a previous professor was engaged in. The speaker shares their experience of realizing they weren't happy in their field after completing their master's degree and being convinced by a post-doc to explore a program in another field. They
KMcFadden
I have a few questions for those of you that have enrolled in or completed graduate school:

1. When during your college career did you know what area of Physics you wanted to focus on?

2. Did you do any research in that area before graduate school?

3. How much did you know about that area of Physics prior to graduate school?

4. Was your decision based on the area of Physics that a previous professor was engaged in?

Physics news on Phys.org
KMcFadden said:
1. When during your college career did you know what area of Physics you wanted to focus on?
After my master's degree I knew I wasn't happy in the field I was in. I did okay in it, but I didn't have any passion for learning beyond what was assigned to me. I considered giving up physics altogether, but then a post-doc who was also considering jumping fields talked me into checking out a program in another field (medical physics). It turned out very well for me.

(I might note that in Canada it's a lot more common to do an MSc prior to PhD work.)

2. Did you do any research in that area before graduate school?
None.

3. How much did you know about that area of Physics prior to graduate school?
In undergrad I paid little attention to it. I was a lot more interested in astrophysics at the time. I had a number of friends in it though, so I attended seminars both locally and at a conference that I otherwise wouldn't have. Prior to enrolling in the PhD however (while I was completing my MSc) I began attending seminars at the local cancer facility. I talked with a number of potential supervisors and learned as much as I could about the field.

4. Was your decision based on the area of Physics that a previous professor was engaged in?
No. I had some great professors in undergrad (and a few not so great ones). But for whatever reason few of them ever talked about their own research during lectures - probably because it would have taken up too much time.

What are the main areas of physics to choose from?

The main areas of physics include classical mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other specific branches include astrophysics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

How do I determine which area of physics to study?

First, consider your interests and strengths. Do you prefer theoretical or experimental work? Are you drawn to a particular aspect of physics, such as the study of particles or the behavior of matter? You can also talk to professors or research different career paths to get a better idea of what each area of physics entails.

What skills are necessary to study physics?

Studying physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also involves being able to think abstractly and visualize complex concepts. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important for collaborations and research projects.

Is there a demand for physicists in specific areas of study?

The demand for physicists varies depending on the specific area of study. Some areas, such as astrophysics and particle physics, may have more opportunities for research and employment. However, all areas of physics have important applications in various industries, including technology, healthcare, and energy.

Can I switch to a different area of physics after starting my studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different area of physics while studying or even after completing a degree. Many concepts and skills learned in one area of physics can be applied to others. However, it may require additional coursework or self-study to catch up on any necessary background knowledge.