Choosing Between Physics, Aerospace Engineering, and Biology: My Struggle at 18

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Frushe
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hello, my name is Marcos. I am 18 years old and I am from Argentina. I am going through quite a struggle deciding between Physics, Engineering(specifically Aerospace Engineering) and biology.The reasons for my interest in physics are: I would love to carry out research(I like science), I like being able to understand a little about everything and the world that surrounds us, I have a great interest on space. Reasons for my interest on Aerospace engineering: It is a "safer" major in terms of employment and money, I might be able to do complex things in relation to space, It has advanced physics. Things I like about biology: stem cells, genetics and neuroscience. The problem is here in Argentina research is almost non existant. So, I will have to leave my country to the US (still being hard) In both I am planning to try hardly to achieve a Phd. What is your advice? Thanks a lot for your time!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You could consider combining two interests like biology and physics and get into biophysics. Biology related fields are hot and are arguably a better field to get into than aerospace.

Other more qualified members here will give you some other good tips.

One thing you can do now is to write down the pros and cons of each field and factor what you learn here and from additional research online and your best choice will become evident.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: micromass
I don't think it's necessary obvious that aerospace engineering is safer than something like biophysics. I don't know, but it's something you should look into. Especially since the country where you plan to work is Argentina and not the US.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu
I cannot stop thinking on what to do with my life. I know that I want to contribute to the world with something, make my life worthy. But also I don't want to not earn enough to support my family in the future, specially in a place like argentina where research is not paid well.
micromass said:
I don't think it's necessary obvious that aerospace engineering is safer than something like biophysics. I don't know, but it's something you should look into. Especially since the country where you plan to work is Argentina and not the US.
es
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

You could consider combining two interests like biology and physics and get into biophysics. Biology related fields are hot and are arguably a better field to get into than aerospace.

Other more qualified members here will give you some other good tips.

One thing you can do now is to write down the pros and cons of each field and factor what you learn here and from additional research online and your best choice will become evident.
 
@Frushe Could I get you to go to the personal message you received, and click on "Report" so that I can see it. Thanks.
 
NascentOxygen said:
@Frushe Could I get you to go to the personal message you received, and click on "Report" so that I can see it. Thanks.
Done! Thanks