Choosing filter paper to extract an organic compound from HCl using gr

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of paper filters for removing an organic compound while allowing smaller HCl molecules to pass through. There is a mention of the molecular weight of the organic compound and the use of ultrafiltration techniques for filtering solutions. The question of whether paper filters with a pore size of 50um would be sufficient is also raised. It is suggested to check the quality of the filtrate to determine the effectiveness of the paper filter. The conversation also touches on the need for specialized filters when working with HCl and the suggestion to check with the manufacturer for the best option.
kl055
Do I need to worry about the pore size, or can I just assume that any/all paper filter will remove the organic compound while letting the smaller HCl molecules through?

The molecular weight of the organic compound is listed as "240"

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know that plain old filter paper would work on a soluble component of a mixture. Typically if you want to filter something in solution, you need to use ultrafiltration techniques (which have limits to how small the pores can get AFAIK) or find a way to separate the unwanted component into a separate phase (for example precipitation).

Likes 1 person
If the solute is ~100um uniform in size (solid outside of the HCl), shouldn't paper filters work? Would be sufficient to use a pore size of 50um, or should I use a smaller size?

Sounds fine to me. If it were me, and I were working on an tested protocol, I'd check (qualitatively or quantitatively) the filtrate to get an idea of how well it worked.

Likes 1 person
Thanks.

Is normal filter paper sufficient to resist HCl or should I be buying special "hardened" and/or "ashless" filters?

I'd imagine it depends on the concentration of HCl. Erring on the side if caution, you're best bet is likely to check with the manufacturer.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I will do that.

1. What is the best type of filter paper to use for extracting an organic compound from HCl using gravity filtration?

The best type of filter paper to use for extracting an organic compound from HCl using gravity filtration is qualitative filter paper. This type of filter paper is designed to retain fine particles and is suitable for most organic compounds.

2. How do I determine the appropriate pore size of the filter paper for my extraction process?

The appropriate pore size of the filter paper depends on the size of the particles you are trying to filter. For most organic compounds, a pore size of 20-25 microns is suitable. However, if you are working with smaller particles, you may need to use a filter paper with a smaller pore size.

3. Can I reuse filter paper for multiple extractions?

It is generally not recommended to reuse filter paper for multiple extractions. The filter paper can become clogged and may not effectively filter the particles in subsequent extractions. It is best to use a fresh filter paper for each extraction.

4. Do I need to pre-wet the filter paper before using it for extraction?

It is recommended to pre-wet the filter paper before using it for extraction. This helps to remove any impurities and also prevents the filter paper from absorbing the organic compound being extracted. Simply wet the filter paper with the solvent you will be using for the extraction.

5. Can I use any type of filter paper for extracting organic compounds from HCl?

No, you should not use any type of filter paper for extracting organic compounds from HCl. Some filter papers may react with the acid and contaminate the extracted compound. It is important to use filter paper specifically designed for use with acids, such as qualitative filter paper.