Choosing the appropriate college

• Schools
  • Thread starter Hioj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the speaker believes they have the qualifications to apply to prestigious universities like Harvard, MIT, CalTech, and Oxford. However, the application deadlines have passed and the speaker is wondering about the possibility of starting in Winter 2012 or Fall 2012. The best way to proceed would be to apply for Fall 2012 as the schools are currently full and will only consider applicants for the following year.
Hioj
(Sorry for the two threads in 1 day, this is something that I feel requires attention though so I have created 2 threads, since it's 2 different topics)

I believe I have the qualifications to apply to well-regarded universities such as Harvard, MIT, CalTech, Oxford etc. I know their application deadlines have been exceeded a long time ago, so I'm trying to think of the best possible way of contacting the university and applying, either for Fall 2011, Winter 2012 or Fall 2012.

Is it possible to start after the 1st semester, i.e. Winter 2012? I have been looking at their homepages but haven't been able to find much.

What do you think is the best way to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of those schools do not have much in the way of requirements to apply, but meeting the basic requirements does NOT mean you have a decent chance of getting in. Harvard accepted fewer than 6% of applicants this year, and everyone who applied was qualified to get in (as were millions who did not apply). No, it's not possible to start this fall. They are full. Most won't consider letting you start in the spring; they will also be full. Try next fall instead. Applications will be due this winter.

At many less-competitive schools you can still find places for fall semester. At top-level schools, no. They have waiting lists of students that they can offer places to if other incoming students change their minds.

1. How do I choose the right college for me?

Choosing a college is a big decision and it's important to consider a few key factors. Start by thinking about your academic interests and goals, as well as the location, size, and overall atmosphere of the college. It's also helpful to research the college's academic programs, student life, and career resources to make sure they align with your interests and needs.

2. What should I look for in a college's academic programs?

When researching colleges, pay attention to the variety and quality of academic programs offered. Look for programs that align with your interests and career goals. Additionally, consider the faculty and their qualifications, as well as any opportunities for hands-on learning, such as internships or research opportunities.

3. How important is the location of a college?

The location of a college can have a big impact on your overall college experience. Consider factors such as the weather, cost of living, and proximity to family and friends. Also think about the opportunities for internships, networking, and cultural experiences in the area.

4. Is it better to attend a large or small college?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Large colleges may offer more diverse academic programs and resources, while small colleges may provide a more close-knit community and individualized attention from professors. Consider your learning style and what type of environment you thrive in before making a decision.

5. How important are extracurricular activities and campus life?

Extracurricular activities and campus life can greatly enhance your college experience and help you develop important skills outside of the classroom. Consider what types of activities and organizations are available and how they align with your interests. Additionally, research the campus culture and make sure it is a good fit for you.