Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chris Morris Visits the LHC (The Guardian UK)

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1

neu

Chris Morris (Brass eye, Nathan Barley etc etc), basically the funniest writer/comedian/whatever I can think of, visits the LHC for some elusive reason and writes an article in the Guardian, and records a podcast. For those (few) who are interested, the link is below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jun/30/cern.particle.physics2

"Then someone hits you with the seething vacuum. You think a vacuum is empty space. Quantum theory says yes - but it is also full of spontaneous eruptions of energy. This virtual energy comes from nowhere. It does and doesn't exist. You can use the bit that does, so long as you pay it back. This beats sub-prime."

"At a meal afterwards, we babble. Will the collider suck us into a black hole? There's a website where some health and safety nut has calculated that Cern could be 18 times more lethal than death."

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Weird! I never knew Chris Morris had an interest in that sort of thing.

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to wiki he has a science degree (well zoology!)

Although the article reads like somebody who has just suffered one of Evo's famous head injuries.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew he had the zoology degree but I didn't think he was interested in physics.

He has a unique style of writing that is mildly surreal. Look up some of his shows on youtube if interested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?